Finally a Plane

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Finally a Plane

Post by designrs »

After 5 years of dreaming… Mine!

2011 SportCruiser / 225 hours
Photo at Ocean City, New Jersey, 26N

One one the reasons that I chose the SportCruiser is that I trained in and rented the same make/model aircraft for four years. Having observed multiple PiperSports / SportCruisers in a heavy training and rental environment gave me confidence in their durability and manners to be compatible with new pilots.

Thanks to all the great people on this board who share the knowledge and passion of aviation and reached out.
sunset.jpg
sunset.jpg (76.45 KiB) Viewed 15131 times
Attachments
interior-IMG_3496.jpg
interior-IMG_3496.jpg (166.96 KiB) Viewed 14759 times
Last edited by designrs on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
David

Re: Finally a Plane

Post by David »

Congrats - she looks like fun just sitting on the ramp!

Looking forward to seeing her in the air.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Congratulations!
That's one beautiful little airplane.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Come on, Richard - don't just bait the hook. Share with us how you plan on using this gorgeous bird, now that she is yours.

Damn thing looks like it's going 50 kts while parked...
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

Jack Tyler wrote:Come on, Richard - don't just bait the hook. Share with us how you plan on using this gorgeous bird, now that she is yours.

Damn thing looks like it's going 50 kts while parked...
Well Jack, the first thing I am going to do when it gets cold is to fly down and camp out in front of your hangar in Florida!

:lol:

Seriously, will tell soon… thinking of starting a thread here called "Ownership" to chronicle the experience.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Absolutely gorgeous. You done good.

On the way to FL, follow I-81 SW a ways and use Copperhill as a fuel stop - plenty of 93 octane ethanol free available. And a place to overnight if you need it. Might even be able to squeeze you into a hangar.

Need to take me for a ride, of course!

Also along that route, Mountain Empire airport in VA had high test MOGAS last I checked. Nice people and a courtesy car available.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

The SportCruisers are about the most sexy looking LSA out there, and that is one of the better looking ones I have seen.

Enjoy your new airplane, I know what it's like to fulfill that lifelong itch. You will feel like you are living in a dream for quite some time!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
AJChenMPH

Post by AJChenMPH »

Nice, congrats!! (Where's the "green with envy" smiley face? :) )
Andy / PP-ASEL
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Congratulations - Absolutely a beautiful bird.. VR.. Don
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Congrats! I've only seen one... the yellow SC at the LSA Expo was absolutely gorgeous! If your willing to post your buying experience here, I'm sure it would be appreciated.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
designrs

Post by designrs »

FastEddieB wrote:Absolutely gorgeous. You done good.

On the way to FL, follow I-81 SW a ways and use Copperhill as a fuel stop - plenty of 93 octane ethanol free available. And a place to overnight if you need it. Might even be able to squeeze you into a hangar.

Need to take me for a ride, of course!

Also along that route, Mountain Empire airport in VA had high test MOGAS last I checked. Nice people and a courtesy car available.
Thanks Eddie and all. Will do! I'm looking forward to a trip South this Winter.
It would be great to see your area and catch up with you!
designrs

Post by designrs »

Flocker wrote:Congrats! I've only seen one... the yellow SC at the LSA Expo was absolutely gorgeous! If your willing to post your buying experience here, I'm sure it would be appreciated.
First off, I have been flying PiperSports / SportCruisers for over three years with about 160 hours in them. So while I am familiar with the aircraft, I'm still a new pilot and a first-time owner... which is a whole other world in terms of opportunity AND responsibility. Taking things slow and getting everything setup right.

I've been trying to buy a plane for almost 5 years. Had a deposit on the Cirrus LSA that never happened, almost brought a now defunct LSA brand (glad to have missed that), tried to get financing on new aircraft (even with excellent credit financing was very challenging and did not work out).

For months I was carefully watching the marketplace... a few other nice planes (and a whole bunch with issues). Finally this plane came about. It was the right deal and the right plane.

Happy now!

:D
Last edited by designrs on Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Since we're putting together Richard's itinerary for him, let me add Arcadia Municipal X06 which is some miles southeast of Sarasota. A wonderful thing has been happening there, as a volunteer group formed to save the orphaned airport and breath some aviation life into in an area that has a storied aviation history. One of their primary objectives was to create a pilot shelter for visiting aircraft, something that's more common out west but rare east of the Mississippi. They were granted a 3 acre site right next to the hangars and have spent the entire hellishly-long/hot/humid summer grading, slash burning, and bringing in umpteen dump trucks of fill, and the initial portion of the site is now really taking shape. It will feature a semi-circular taxiway, right through stands of oaks, with campsites along the outside perimeter of the semi-circle that one can back the plane into and camp with shade. The amenities (fire pit, shelter with concrete pad, tables & benches and with a portalette hidden in the trees nearby) is on the inside of the semi-circle. The best part of Arcadia is this volunteer group: Friends of Arcadia Airport (google that to learn more). They are great hosts and plan to offer 'concierge service' for visitors. Arcadia itself is in the middle of Florida's cattle country (did you know we have more cattle than Texas?) and the small town has never been gentrified but instead has been able to economically sustain its character for many decades, so it's like visiting a FL town of the 40's.

For anyone who's in FL and would like to help create the services agenda and tweak the design of the facility, the RAF is holding a day event on October 18th which also happens to be Friends' monthly Pancake Breakfast. We'll walk the site, hear the mater plan described in detail, and then have a discussion about what a pilot, an aircraft owner and a camper would be looking for when stopping at Arcadia. This was Friends' idea because they want to make this as appealing a recreational destination for we pilots as possible. Hope to see some of you there.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

Sounds absolutely fantastic Jack.
Thanks!