Split view video from the cockpit and belly

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

David

Split view video from the cockpit and belly

Post by David »

Flight video from this weekend with 2 cameras capturing the taking off and landing. A little editing magic to sync the 2 videos in a split view. One camera in the cockpit and the other mounted on the belly of my RV12. I just got a GoPro for the outside of the plane and in the cockpit I'm using a Contour that is wired to the comm.

http://youtu.be/oHjPnO6z-7g
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
deltafox

Re: Split view video from the cockpit and belly

Post by deltafox »

Getting sophisticated David. Please show us the outside mount.
Dave
David

Post by David »

deltafox wrote:Getting sophisticated David. Please show us the outside mount.
Dave, I used the stick on mount with 2 flush rivets. I GoPro clips in very quickly.

This is the stick on mount that is attached to the plane. Very small and yes it probably slows me down .003 knots :lol:

I also have a Ram mount that attaches in the tie down on the wing. (Fully adjustable)

David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Over rotating would get expensive in a hurry.

Nice video. I like the dual view, but let me throw in my $0.02 worth.

- Some sort of dividing line between the views might be nice. My eyes seemed drawn to looking at the division instead of watching the two views. Don't know... but maybe worth a test.

- I'm not a fan of the 'under the tail' mounting location. 20-30% of that view is of the underside of your plane and that never changes (hope not, anyway!). Seeing the wheels is only interesting for the brief moments that they break and make contact with pavement. Otherwise, it just takes up viewing space. Maybe further forward to still have an centerline perspective, or out under a wing would provide a greater field of view of the scenery.

- I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not crazy aobut music in airplane videos, either. I like that you're wired into the audio system, but (again for me) it's a little distracting to switch back and forth between radio transmissions and music. I like airplane noise. But I know that's just me.

Don't take any of the above 3 comments to mean I didn't enjoy watching your video, though! Thanks for it.
- Bruce
David

Post by David »

Merlinspop wrote:Over rotating would get expensive in a hurry.

Nice video. I like the dual view, but let me throw in my $0.02 worth.

- I'm not a fan of the 'under the tail' mounting location. 20-30% of that view is of the underside of your plane and that never changes (hope not, anyway!). Seeing the wheels is only interesting for the brief moments that they break and make contact with pavement. Otherwise, it just takes up viewing space. Maybe further forward to still have an centerline perspective, or out under a wing would provide a greater field of view of the scenery.
Agreed - I just did it for the effect. Most of the time I will place the GoPro under the wing.

- I know I'm in the minority, but I'm not crazy about music in airplane videos, either. I like that you're wired into the audio system, but (again for me) it's a little distracting to switch back and forth between radio transmissions and music. I like airplane noise. But I know that's just me.
The music is actually the Comm playing the radio and XM music. I didn't add the music, it is as recorded in the cockpit.

Don't take any of the above 3 comments to mean I didn't enjoy watching your video, though! Thanks for it.
Glad you enjoyed it - this is a great forum, with great members. Just wanted to share the passion of flying.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

David -

Cool and really cool! The music cut out so well, I thought it had to be done in post processing.
- Bruce
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

An interesting comment about music distracting from the video. I tried adjusting the music overlay to the left channel and biased the flight sounds to the right channel. Let me know if that works better for you.

Reference: http://www.screencast.com/t/9hpcGAeAbc
Dave
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Ah-hah! Never thought of that. I'll have to give it a shot!--R
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Enjoyed the video, Dave! The left/right channel split was very nice. You had the music level nice and low anyway, so it wouldn't have been a distraction anyway. Love your interactions with Sally.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Two questions, Dave: what is that airspeed indicator in the lower left? And how do you get the engine whine onto the audio track?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I was wondering if he had a side gig as an auctioneer or the guy who reads the disclaimers at the end of commercials. Faaaaaast talker! :D
- Bruce
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Two answers Paul: 1) All of the "Overlay" information comes from the GPS within the camera. All speed, height and bearing information is derived from GPS data....other sensors (heart rate, temperature) are also available. 2) The engine whine is a side tone in the system. I'm oblivious to it when flying but really notice it on the recording. A friend suggested an electronic filter, but I do think there might be value in keeping it.
Dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

Oh, do definitely keep it, Dave.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:Oh, do definitely keep it, Dave.
Agree...keep it. Gives a better "there with you" feel.
- Bruce