First Flight to Brownsville!

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

drdehave

First Flight to Brownsville!

Post by drdehave »

Fellow GoPro Heros:

I just discovered, hiding just 62 nmi from my doorstep, yet another non-towered airport--actually a small dope-growing hamlet with a tiny little grower's airstrip--that I hadn't been to, during my hurried, 3.5-year journey in aviation.

So, when a break in the weather materialized yesterday, I jumped in the Sting and hot-footed it over there...with GoPros ablazing.

Here's the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQS62ec ... sIcQaBCQ_A

And no, I didn't run Off the tarmac during the landing; that's from the camera location (wing tip) and positioning (looking outward 45 degrees). But, I did get pretty close to the edge of that 20-ft strip!

Rich
Last edited by drdehave on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
MovingOn

Re: First Flight to Brownsville!

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

drdehave wrote:Fellow GoPro Heros:

I just discovered, hiding just 62 nmi from my doorstep, yet another uncontrolled airport--actually a small dope-growing hamlet with a tiny little grower's airstrip--that I hadn't been to, during my hurried, 3.5-year journey in aviation.

So, when a break in the weather materialized yesterday, I jumped in the Sting and hot-footed it over there...with GoPros ablazing.

Here's the result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKQS62ec ... sIcQaBCQ_A

And no, I didn't run Off the tarmac during the landing; that's from the camera location (wing tip) and positioning (looking outward 45 degrees). But, I did get pretty close to the edge of that 20-ft strip!

Rich
Great video! Thanks for the weathermeister.com tip. Hadn't heard of that one. Will give it a try for today's flight...
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Rich, good luck to you are your fellow CA citizens on this new Pacific storm. The NOAA brief on the extended temp & rainfall f'casts was even more sobering than what we've been picking up on the various news sources over here on the SE corner of the country. Hopefully, the Sierras will pick up some sizable 'storage water' as well.

Enjoyed the video BTW...but was left quite curious about Brownsville given your comments.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Beautifully done - again! A great learning resource and gorgeous scenery.

I was about to recommend that one always overfly the runway first, but then you clarified that you had. Good job!

On runways that appear short, I would begin my flare short of the numbers so as to land on or just beyond them. "Short" is relative to what you're used to - that would be a tad tight for a Cirrus, but no sweat in a Light Sport.

And narrow runways can wreak havoc on judgment of height - you did a nice job.

And a final, tiny point - for consistency the FAA now refers to these as "non-towered" airports. Apparently "uncontrolled" sounded a little too dangerous to untrained ears.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Thanks for the weathermeister.com tip. Hadn't heard of that one. Will give it a try for today's flight...

This IS a subscription service. But look for a free trial option, to give it a look-see.

This is well worth the $60 or so, a year, it costs, in my opinion. And they do preserve a record of the briefing, in case you ever need it.

Rich
Last edited by drdehave on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote: the FAA now refers to these as "non-towered" airports. Apparently "uncontrolled" sounded a little too dangerous to untrained ears.
FAA terminology notwithstanding, I use "non-towered" because "uncontrolled" suggests we pilots lack self-control! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Decided to head back to Brownsville, F25, late this morning--a beautiful, warm (80s) spring day--with the wife. Wanted to try the nearby diner my friend told me about.

Big mistake! The turbulence was nasty down low in that little slot on the RW24 approach. That, in turn, made that 20-ft RW look real small. And we had a nasty bounce necessitating a go-round. Then, two more airplanes right behind us had to do the same.

That was our signal: We headed for Willows (WLW), a nice Valley flat-lands site, with an airport diner--but no trecherous turbulence.

Lesson: It's getting summer again. Think early mornings, if you're going to mess around in mountains!

Rich