88-YO Mom's First Ride in My Airplane

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

drdehave

88-YO Mom's First Ride in My Airplane

Post by drdehave »

Hey Guys:

I had intented to keep this brief one within family, but I learned something about YouTube in the process that I hadn't known--and wanted to share it.

When you don't want to use YouTube to go "mainstream," there are two "special" categories you can use: Private Videos and Unlisted Videos. When it is uploading, you can check Private and it will be restricted to up to 50 people being able to view it, but they have to sign into their YouTube account to do so. Or, you can check Unlisted, and anybody can watch it who has the URL that you send or provide to them (such as below); however, the video will not appear to visitors on your YouTube channel, nor can it be found through any internet searches. I thought this Unlisted category was pretty cool--and just what I needed for some of my "stuff"--so I tried it out yesterday--when my 88 YO mom climbed into my Sting Sport for the first time!

02/07/2014 Update: Okay, I just switched this video from Private to Public and did some minor editing. The new version is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR37vvQ ... 4-overview

Rich
Last edited by drdehave on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
MovingOn

Re: 88-YO Mom's First Ride in My Airplane

Post by MovingOn »

Delete...
Last edited by MovingOn on Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

drdehave wrote:my 88 YO mom climbed into my Sting Sport for the first time!
Glad she gave it a try, Rich. The real test will be whether she goes with you a second time. :wink:

My own mum flew with me only twice (both when she was a youngster in her sixties). I'm sure the first time was just to show me that she loved me, and her second to try to convince me that the first time wasn't only to show me that she loved me...

My maternal grandmother, OTOH, being somewhat more adventuresome than her own daughter, flew with me exactly once, well into her nineties, and only after having lost her eyesight. She said afterward that she wished she had done so years before, when she could still see.

Mum is now 92, and rather frail. I fear that the next time she flies with me will be when I scatter her ashes. So, enjoy and embrace the opportunity whenever it presents itself!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

So, enjoy and embrace the opportunity whenever it presents itself!

Yes, it was a pretty special day--and gave her plenty to talk about, when she went to her exercise class, later.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Very, very cool!

Enjoy her while you can.

And in spite of some minor drawbacks, what a view a bubble canopy gives!

Love it!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

drdehave wrote: gave her plenty to talk about, when she went to her exercise class, later.
I'm impressed that she's still going to exercise class! That seems to be one of the secrets to longevity.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Unbelieveable! She flew again with me today--so, what the heck, I slapped on a couple GoPros and recorded some of our Eye Candy Not drought conditions at one of the large, nearby reservoirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsu6xdJJ ... e=youtu.be