Cold weather in the East but Great flying

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

David

Cold weather in the East but Great flying

Post by David »

We had snow two days ago and really cold temps in the Northeast. Today’s temps early this morning were below 0. Headed to the hanger and the had to dig out since they had not plowed in front of the hangers.

My pre-heater I made had the temps in the cowl about 60 – 65 deg. Pulled her out and closed the modified oil cooler shutter fully. In 3 min temps were up to 95 and started a very slow taxi to the run up area. By the time I got there the temps were 130 for the run up. Take off with temps 170 and then at level flight I opened the shutter about 1/3 where the temps stayed in the 190s

Great day flying heater worked great air temps were – 8 C. Climbed great and had to slower her down to keep her under the 120 knots.

Flight Video to be posted later
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
David

Re: Cold weather in the East but Great flying

Post by David »

Video condensed down

http://youtu.be/wihhUXb10i0
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
drseti

Post by drseti »

David wrote: had to slower her down to keep her under the 120 knots.
Actually, David, there is no prohibition against flying above 120 knots, so no need to slow her down. The LSA certification limitation only deals with cruise speed at max continuous power on an ISA standard day at sea level. If your conditions permit faster flight, go for it!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

drseti wrote:
David wrote: had to slower her down to keep her under the 120 knots.
Actually, David, there is no prohibition against flying above 120 knots, so no need to slow her down. The LSA certification limitation only deals with cruise speed at max continuous power on an ISA standard day at sea level. If your conditions permit faster flight, go for it!
I don't follow totally if had continued I would have had a continuos cruise faster than 128 knots due to the cold weather and my pitch setting.

But good to know
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
drseti

Post by drseti »

David wrote: if had continued I would have had a continuos cruise faster than 128 knots
That's fine. The 120 kts is a design limitation, not an operating limitation. If it had been an ISA standard day, and you had been flying at sea level at 5500 RPM, your true airspeed would have been below the 120 knot design limitation. :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

drseti wrote:
David wrote: if had continued I would have had a continuos cruise faster than 128 knots
That's fine. The 120 kts is a design limitation, not an operating limitation. If it had been an ISA standard day, and you had been flying at sea level at 5500 RPM, your true airspeed would have been below the 120 knot design limitation. :D
Thanks that's clear now, just slow on the uptake too cold for the synapses to function
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
drseti

Post by drseti »

This is not to imply that there aren't operating speed limitations as well, David. Over land in the US, you aren't allowed to exceed Mach 1. Below 10,000 ft, you can't exceed 250 kts. And inside a Class B, you have to throttle back to below 200. So, watch your airspeed in that hot RV-12! :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US