Took my son up for his first flight in a GA plane today

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

newamiga

Took my son up for his first flight in a GA plane today

Post by newamiga »

Here is a short video I put together of taking my son up for his first ever GA flight in my Gobosh 700 LSA. We did a quick flight over the city of Colorado Springs and a quick touch and go at KCOS before heading home.

http://youtu.be/N6Arz5xdtE4

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
MrMorden

Re: Took my son up for his first flight in a GA plane today

Post by MrMorden »

Very nice video. But a "danger zone" cover, really? That music was awful, you would have been much better served with some relaxing guitar music. I had to turn the volume off just to finish watching.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
David

Post by David »

Nice - glad you and your son got some quality time in the air, those days are special :)
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Actually, I liked the Danger Zone cover song. But you should have more shots of your son enjoying the flight and having fun. I only see the cockpit views in this video.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Carl, you were wise to wait for your son's first flight until he was old enough to appreciate it. First time I took my daughter up (she was maybe five), I looked over at her right after takeoff, and she was fast asleep. That was in my renter days. I thought, "I'm paying $25 an hour for her to sleep?" (That Hobbs rate will tell you how long ago this was...) So, I came around the pattern, landed, taxied back, shut down, and had to carry her to the car. :(
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Pabloll

Post by Pabloll »

Times like those with "Dad" your son will cherish forever. Enjoy them while you can.

I remember most of the times with my Dad, who was in instructor and the times I spent riding with him for the first 10 years of my life. My first, which of course I do not remember, was when I was less than a year old in a Rearwin Sportster from Pueblo to Grand Junction in 1942. No wonder I like aviation.

Had many rides out of Rifle, Dad was first airport manager, to places like Las Vegas, NV in the back of a Bellanca Cruiseair, to Grand Junction over the top of Mt. Garfield, and to many of the airports on the western slope. Riding in J-3s, a Pacer, Taylorcrafts, V35 Bonanza, etc. Loved every one of those as I was with my Dad.

Those memories are irreplaceable. So enjoy the times with your son.

Happy Holidays
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

My Dad took me on my first flight back in 1958 when he was in the British RAF and we lived in Singapore. I sat on the co-pilot's lap in a Vickers Valetta twin engine piston engines.

Being only 5 I'm surprised that I remember it but I do and my Mum has photos of the day.

Those first flights can have a major impact on a child's life!
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Never mind...
Last edited by MovingOn on Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Thanks for all the great comments guys. I do wish I had a second camera set up so I could have gotten more shots of him. He had a great time. He is a mechanical engineering student at Colorado State and really enjoyed analyzing every aspect of the flight.. Including my landings :)

The Danger Zone remix reminded me of my crazy youth. As corny and over the top as the song and the movie were, they were all the rage when they came out and I was about 21 and just starting aircrew training in the Air Force. Of course we flew in the back of recce jets and weren't fighter pilots but we thought we were cool :)

I am actually hoping to take my dad up for his first ride in my plane in a few weeks if the weather holds out for that cross country up to Mass.

Carl
designrs

Post by designrs »

Nice memories made! Carl, can you please comment on having a plane with just one glass panel? I'm seeing some new planes equipped that way, especially with a single wider Dynon SkyView. Personally, I'd be happy with it just for myself, but feel that it would be limiting when flying with two pilots and/or for resale purposes (just my personal assumptions, of course).

Can you please comment from experience Carl?
Thanks!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
designrs

Post by designrs »

I sent my dear friends, neighbor's kids ages 10 and 12, up with my instructor over the Summer. They had a blast and got to fly some too! I did not have my ticket at the time so it was not an option to fly them myself. As a new pilot I'd still be hesitant to take up children. That feels like a whole lot more responsibility than taking up a buddy who is a consenting adult. Thoughts on flying children of friends?
David

Post by David »

designrs wrote:I sent my dear friends, neighbor's kids ages 10 and 12, up with my instructor over the Summer. They had a blast and got to fly some too! I did not have my ticket at the time so it was not an option to fly them myself. As a new pilot I'd still be hesitant to take up children. That feels like a whole lot more responsibility than taking up a buddy who is a consenting adult. Thoughts on flying children of friends?
Well I have been told I act like a child at times and I'll ride with you any time :mrgreen:
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
designrs

Post by designrs »

One of my instructors has two young children. When she lets them fly they do it like it's a video game... Big moves to feel like a roller coaster!! She says be ready for that with kids!!! :lol:
designrs

Post by designrs »

Never too old to enjoy a good ride!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQCFgJal ... ata_player
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Good question on the single glass panel. The plane I learned in was a Gobosh also with dual Garmin G3X glass and backup analog airspeed and altimeter. I have also flown a Gobosh with a single Dynon Skyview 10". Mine originally had the Dynon D-180 and the Garmin 496. I found the 496 too hard to see from the left seat. I got a LOA and had a Garmin 796 installed and it greatly improves the visibility of the GPS. I have a CFI friend who I fly with quite a bit and she seems to be able to see the screen on the D-180 well enough from the right seat to fly from there. To be truthful, I have only flown my plane a few times from the right seat, so it was never really an issue for me so far. In terms of only having glass, I have adjusted my scan to be much better with glass than with a six pack. I flew a converted Piper Tri-Pacer last summer in Alaska and it took a little bit to get used to that scan on the six pack.

One issue with the additional screen in say a Skyview 10" setup is the power draw, or so I have been told. Without having both the alternator and generator on the Rotax 912, I am told there could be an issue of overdrawing the power if you had all of your electrics powered up. I know Van's said this was the reason they discontinued the support for dual skyviews in the RV-12. I am not an expert with such things but I have heard it from Vans and several other sources.

In terms of the co-pilot having a good screen to use, I use Foreflight on the iPad over there with a suction cup mount on the canopy and it works great. We have flown that way on a few longer cross countries 700-800 miles with two of us.

I hope that gets to your question?

Carl