Took my son up for his first flight in a GA plane today

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

newamiga

Re: Took my son up for his first flight in a GA plane today

Post by newamiga »

designrs wrote:I sent my dear friends, neighbor's kids ages 10 and 12, up with my instructor over the Summer. They had a blast and got to fly some too! I did not have my ticket at the time so it was not an option to fly them myself. As a new pilot I'd still be hesitant to take up children. That feels like a whole lot more responsibility than taking up a buddy who is a consenting adult. Thoughts on flying children of friends?

I hear you.. I still haven't done the Young Eagles flights yet. I would feel nervous about taking up someone else's kids. I may get more comfortable with it in the future but at about 325 hours, I still don't feel comfortable with it. I do take up adult friends of mine all the time, but I figure they understand totally the risks involved (albeit minimal in most cases), and can make the decision for themselves.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
designrs

Post by designrs »

newamiga wrote:I hope that gets to your question?
For those who missed the thread drift, I PM'ed Carl after seeing the video showing a single panel in his aircraft.

Yes. Thank you Carl that was very enlighting, especially in regard to power draw from dual dynon skyviews. Never thought of that, which explains why we are seeing single dynon offerings.

I've flown glass and analog, so I'm familiar with the scan differences. I still have not tried to fly from the opposite panel, but I suppose it can be done... will try it on my next flight to evaluate.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Carl, if it helps you feel better about flying YE's, keep in mind that parental consent from a parent who is present at the event is required. So there is 'adult awareness' of what's involved, even if Mom/Dad aren't sticking their own neck out. <s> Any parent who arrives at the FBO or airport area where the event is being staged can scope out the scene and evaluate how safely things are being conducted, including the ground ops, before signing up their son or daughter. Doesn't change the level of responsibility for us one whit, of course, but it isn't like the kid drifts in on his bike and asks for a ride.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
designrs

Post by designrs »

Its weird that the perception of responsibility of a child might actually be greater than reality. For example, if I take up a friend who is a father of two that's a lot more responsibility than taking up a single non-father buddy, or even a single child. Yet the single child passenger feels like more responsibility.

Like most things, I think it comes down to the perceived risk and fear of the unfamiliar... similar to the general fear of flying vs. no fear of driving cars.

Having a child passenger is an unfamiliar fear.

Question for those of you who are parents: Is it easier for you to fly other children if you have flown your own?
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Hey, now that's some familiar looking country! I grew up in Pueblo--and used to hunt coyotes out there!
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote:Question for those of you who are parents: Is it easier for you to fly other children if you have flown your own?
My own children grew up either in the left front seat of the family Beechcraft, with me occupying the customary flight instructor's seat, or in the right front seat while their mother flew from the left. Since this was no different from a drive in the family car, it seemed perfectly natural for them to invite friends along. Having two or even three more kids in back felt completely normal to me, and gave my own children a status boost with their peers.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US