Tips for Improving Videos Made from Small Aircraft

Here's the place for you to post videos and photos of your favorite airplane or most interesting flight. Commercial posts should go instead into the Want Ads forum.

Moderator: drseti

drdehave

Tips for Improving Videos Made from Small Aircraft

Post by drdehave »

Guys:

There's plenty of advice out there (including some by me) about making videos using GoPro cameras (and other small, fixed-focal-length cameras) hung from small aircraft. However, I think I've come up with a few more novel tips that can benefit both serious and casual small-airplane videographers. Problem is, like usual, I probably got a little too windy in describing them. So, take a look at the list below and see if anything piques your interest. And if so, click on the attached pdf where I elaborate.

Six tips:
1. Let the "mission" dictate camera placement;
2. Avoid propeller harmonics to the extent practicable;
3. During low flight, don't exceed the camera's processing ability;
4. Thwart the bugs!;
5. Manage battery life; and
6. Consider post-production video enhancements.

(PS: Sorry, the pdf has been deleted)
Rich
Last edited by drdehave on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Merlinspop

Re: Tips for Improving Videos Made from Small Aircraft

Post by Merlinspop »

Personal Preference, reference #6:
Engine noise, ATC/Intercom.... GOOD
Wind blast, total music (no airplane sounds at all).... BAD

Again, personal preference
- Bruce
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Here's something interesting I just came across. The method of eliminating jello--through dampening of the GoPro mount--might have some possibilities for us!
I also found the "bird control" device (another of his videos) interesting, since I used to work--in an earlier life--on ways to reduce bird hazards to aircraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvi2BgkWSvQ
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:Personal Preference, reference #6:
Engine noise, ATC/Intercom.... GOOD
Wind blast, total music (no airplane sounds at all).... BAD

Again, personal preference
To me it all depends on what I'm trying to do. When I shoot video inside the cockpit, I usually use a cable that gives me ATC/intercom. The downside is it completely eliminates engine noise. But if I share the video most people are more interested in what people are saying than how the engine sounds, and you can usually tell engine power changes by watching my hand on the throttle or how the prop changes speed.

For outside video, if I'm doing a video of takeoffs or landings I'll usually leave the audio alone. If it's a video for my non-flying friends to show how awesome flying is, I usually add some relaxing music and kill the external audio, which is just wind noise and engine drone anyway.

I think you have to ask yourself who your audience for the video will be, and what are you trying to show, and then you can include the audio that fits that best.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drdehave wrote:Here's something interesting I just came across. The method of eliminating jello--through dampening of the GoPro mount--might have some possibilities for us!
I also found the "bird control" device (another of his videos) interesting, since I used to work--in an earlier life--on ways to reduce bird hazards to aircraft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvi2BgkWSvQ
I do not usually have jello problems shooting from the cockpit, but I do shooting from the suction cup mount attached outside. I have thought about putting some compressible rubber isolators in all the joints of the suction mount, I think I will get on that and see how it works.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

"I think you have to ask yourself who your audience for the video will be, and what are you trying to show, and then you can include the audio that fits that best."

Yes, I agree. And for YouTube, it all matters which "niche" of subscribers one is seeking. Subscribers (and "viewers") are getting harder and harder to get--because the number of videos up on the big board is growing exponentially faster than the viewing population.

Here, for example, is a young pilot who has grabbed a huge market share (# of subscribers/and views) in an incredibly short time, by producing long, otherwise unexceptional, flying videos stuffed with cockpit talk--without music or any other "message." I suspect most of his fans are pretty young. Maybe he is mesmerizing them with all the pilot cockpit talk? What would you say his "draw" is? Just being a pilot or the audio tips, or what? Whatever, it is interesting, to say the least. A study of viewers of YT videos must be a science onto itself; I would love to be inside YT studying this stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/user/MrAviation101
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MrMorden wrote:I think you have to ask yourself who your audience for the video will be, and what are you trying to show, and then you can include the audio that fits that best.
Agreed. I should have been a bit more specific. This was my personal preference as a consumer of, rather than a producer of, these videos.
I look for flying videos because I don't fly nearly as much as I want to. So I want videos that capture as much of the flying experience as possible. I want to see instruments rather than a wheel. Hear the sounds you hear as a pilot rather than a soundtrack.
I can understand that other audiences may want a more artful depiction of the birds-eye view of flight and an appropriate soundtrack would enhance that viewing experience. Again, I was just stating what I look for when I look for flying videos.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:
MrMorden wrote:I think you have to ask yourself who your audience for the video will be, and what are you trying to show, and then you can include the audio that fits that best.
Agreed. I should have been a bit more specific. This was my personal preference as a consumer of, rather than a producer of, these videos.
I look for flying videos because I don't fly nearly as much as I want to. So I want videos that capture as much of the flying experience as possible. I want to see instruments rather than a wheel. Hear the sounds you hear as a pilot rather than a soundtrack.
I can understand that other audiences may want a more artful depiction of the birds-eye view of flight and an appropriate soundtrack would enhance that viewing experience. Again, I was just stating what I look for when I look for flying videos.
Makes perfect sense. I usually look at more 'artsy' flying vids because the beauty of the scenery and music together inspire me to fly more. :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MrMorden wrote:Makes perfect sense. I usually look at more 'artsy' flying vids because the beauty of the scenery and music together inspire me to fly more. :)
My inspiration, and more often discouragement, is provided by my checking account statement. :oops:
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:
MrMorden wrote:Makes perfect sense. I usually look at more 'artsy' flying vids because the beauty of the scenery and music together inspire me to fly more. :)
My inspiration, and more often discouragement, is provided by my checking account statement. :oops:
Man, I hear that. I wonder if there is any more expensive past time in the world than aviation...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

Boating.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

garbageman wrote:Boating.
B.O.A.T. = Break out another thousand...

Sold mine to get into aviation - what was I thinking?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Relatively expensive, maybe. Absolutely expensive, probably. But a boat - more than a plane - can be a true magic carpet that can take you to or near almost anywhere in the world. And like flying, the challenge of getting there safely is matched by the satisfaction of having done so.

My example: http://www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/WhooshSection.htm - 53 countries, island nations & dependencies

The main reason boating proves to be expensive - at least relative to the fulfillment it provides - is the same as for aircraft ownership: all those boats sitting in their slips, and all those planes tied down on ramps or hidden away in hangers. One can buy half the boat or plane one thinks is needed and take it ten times farther than one imagines.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org