Rainbow Aviation LSRI course

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

arizonarotors

Rainbow Aviation LSRI course

Post by arizonarotors »

I completed the Rainbow Aviation LSRI course last weekend, in Kingsville, Missouri.

Brian and Carol Carpenter were very helpful and knowledgeable.

They arranged for inspectors from the Kansas City FSDO to come out and issue temporary certificates. This saved us having to go to our local FSDO for the cert.

We left with our temporary certificates, which list the N number of the ELSA we own, and a course completion certificate, that does not expire, so we can get the LSRI certificate for any ELSA we might own in the future.

It was an interesting couple of days. I think I will consider returning for the 2 week LSRM course so I can maintain SLSA aircraft.

Jim
JJay

Re: Rainbow Aviation LSRI course

Post by JJay »

I took the LSRM course while the Carpenters were still in California. Very rewarding. I highly recommend it.

Post by fatsportpilot »

I'm considering taking their LSRM course, maybe this year or next so I can do a bit more maintenance myself.

How much time is spent on engines in the course? Their website says "all LSA engines" but surely they don't mean Rotax, Jabiru, Continental O-200, and ULPower? That would be a lot of engines to cover.
JJay

Post by JJay »

When I attended, we spent most of engine time on Rotax. Brian covered Jabiru some. He spent time covering fuel and ignition systems on other non-Rotax engines.
yabiah

Post by yabiah »

I'll be taking the Rainbow Aviation LSRI course in a couple weeks.
I don't anticipate seeing Brian or Carol there.
The email states, "there are no prerequisites" and they suggest a video or two on their YouTube.
Besides a notepad, what would you suggest I bring along with me?
Thanks, Tim
StingSport N606N S-LSA / Retired Long-distance motorcyclist; IBA #558