Transponder + ADSB installation

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Transponder + ADSB installation

Post by Hambone »

I’m looking at an experimental aircraft for sale. It’s relatively new, and the builder did not install a transponder or ADSB out during the build. It does have a Dynon D-6, which apparently doesn’t support a remote transponder.

What’s the most economical way to do this? What is involved? I understand that installation of a ground plane is necessary. I’m getting conflicting information from a few avionics companies, and some astronomical quotes.

Thanks in advance!
3Dreaming

Re: Transponder + ADSB installation

Post by 3Dreaming »

Get a used transponder and encoder, something like a Garmin GTX327, there are other options if panel space is limited. Then add a tail beacon or Echouat with a skyfx. You would be looking at around $2000 plus install, which you can do yourself on an experimental. Just need to get the transponder check done someplace.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks!

Note that I’ve looked into it, I realize that I can live without a transponder. I don’t frequent busy airports, and circumnavigating the occasional Mode C veil is no big deal.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Anyone installed a uAvionix tailBeaconX? Transponder, ADSB out, GPS, antennae, position light all built into one unit. Looks sweet!

https://uavionix.com/products/tailbeaconx/
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Hambone wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:28 pm Anyone installed a uAvionix tailBeaconX? Transponder, ADSB out, GPS, antennae, position light all built into one unit. Looks sweet!

By the time you get something to support selecting the squawk code it is $4500. It is a neat option, but not a budget option.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

3Dreaming wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:36 pm
Hambone wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:28 pm Anyone installed a uAvionix tailBeaconX? Transponder, ADSB out, GPS, antennae, position light all built into one unit. Looks sweet!

By the time you get something to support selecting the squawk code it is $4500. It is a neat option, but not a budget option.
Unless you already have an EFIS that supports it, such as a GRT or MGL. Others might work as well.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

JimParker256 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:59 pm

Unless you already have an EFIS that supports it, such as a GRT or MGL. Others might work as well.
He said he has a Dynon D6 which doesn't support a transponder, hence the reason for the comment.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

The uAvionix AV-20 is a useful little multifunction unit that includes transponder control. That’s another $900 + installation.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

3Dreaming wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:03 pm
JimParker256 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:59 pm

He said he has a Dynon D6 which doesn't support a transponder, hence the reason for the comment.
You're right, of course. But sometimes these threads get read by people other than the OP, and I just wanted to make people aware that if they already have a compatible EFIS, you won't need the AV-20 or AV-30. uAvionics makes some nice stuff at decent prices. But you do have to read their docs pretty carefully! And they are usually pretty helpful responding to support questions over the phone or via email.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX