E-LSA with new prop: Re-enter Phase 1?

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

JimParker256

E-LSA with new prop: Re-enter Phase 1?

Post by JimParker256 »

Probably one for Dr Paul, but feel free to chime in if you know the answer. Let's assume an Experimental LSA is equipped with a Warp Drive composite ground-adjustable prop, and that prop is replaced with a Sensenich composite ground-adjustable prop. Does this constitute a "major change" that would require that the aircraft be placed back into Phase 1 flight testing, and if so, for how many hours?
Thanks.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
drseti

Re: E-LSA with new prop: Re-enter Phase 1?

Post by drseti »

That's a good question, Jim, for which I don't have a clue. That's one for a DAR, and I only happen to be a CFI and DPE. But, I know somebody I can ask Monday, if nobody else chimes in before then.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

This has been a discussion on an other forum I follow. My opinion is that yes it constitutes a major change, but we can dig a little deeper. Is the diameter or weight of the propellers different? If the answer is yes, then I say it is a major change. If they are the same then it could be considered minor, but others within the FAA might not agree. The most conservative action would be to put it back into phase one testing.

As an aside I once did considerable propeller testing on a model airplane. I tried probably 15 different propellers on one airframe engine combo. I was amazed that way different propellers made the airplane fly beyond speed and acceleration. They effected the airplane in roll and yaw. It was so bad that if someone flew the airplane with the wrong prop they would say it flew like crap, but with the right prop it flew nice.
David

Post by David »

I believe you do go back in Phase ! and then document it - a quick search on the VAF forum see below:

Quote from VAF:
Originally Posted by Saville View Post
Getting a new prop installed on the -8.
I think I read somewhere that this puts the plane back into a partial phase 1 - true?
Do you need an FSDO signoff for this?
Thanks
If it is a different diameter and/or pitch, a change of construction, wood/composite/metal, or any other change that will affect flight characteristics you will need to return to phase I for at least 5 hrs. If you are changing F/P to or from a controllable pitch, then you need to submit new 8130-6.
USAF Vet, High School E-LSA Project Mentor.
RV-6 Flying since 1993 (sold)

When I change my Sensenich a few years ago since was a different blade width I voluntarily when back in to Phase ! For 5 hours.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Also the time duration may be less for a ELSA compared to a EAB LSA.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

I suppose the conservative course of action would be to contact the FSDO and confirm it.
Jim Parker
Farmersville, TX
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

JimParker256 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:21 am I suppose the conservative course of action would be to contact the FSDO and confirm it.
There is a good chance they won't know. It all boils down to what your operating limitations say.

If you do go back into phase one flight testing you will likely need to change the geographical location of the flight test area.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

Just wanted to close the loop on this... I spoke to Mel Asbury (he's an EAA member in my old chapter as well as being a DAR), and he confirmed that changing a prop (other than "like for like") is a major change, and requires the airplane to be put back into Phase 1 test flight program for at least 5 hours, or whatever is specified in the aircraft's Operating Limits. My operating limits state the following:

"The geographically responsible FSDO where the aircraft is based must be notified, and its response received in writing, before flying this aircraft after incorporation of a major change as defined by § 21.93. The FSDO may require demonstrated compliance with § 91.319(b)."

The referenced § 21.93 is the "major / minor change" section, and § 91.319(b) says you have to stay within the designated test flight area until you've shown that the aircraft is controllable thought out it's normal range of speeds and throughout all the maneuvers to be executed, and that it has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features. I believe the FSDO will determine the length of the new Phase 1 test flight period (if any), and communicate that to me in writing.

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.
Jim Parker
Farmersville, TX
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I was told by a local DAR and confirmed with my local FSDO that If the manufacturer of this LSA also sells the plane with the Sensenich prop then you would not have to go back to Phase 1 testing because it's already been done by the manufacturer.

My SportCruiser has been sold by the manufacturer with a Woodcomp prop and a Sensenich prop, both ground adjustable, and when you swap one for the other you just make a logbook entry. This may not apply to your LSA.
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

I sent an email to the FSDO to get their take. Over a week now, with no response. Par for the course.
Jim Parker
Farmersville, TX