Paperwork required to convert SLSA to ELSA

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Re: Paperwork required to convert SLSA to ELSA

Post by Warmi »

It amazes me that Garmin would actually care why are you requesting their software upgrade ... you got their hardware and their software needs to be updated that should be the end of story.

So much bureaucratic BS for a design that is ultimately a lot simpler than an average car.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

Cessna originally had Garmin produce the G300 for the Skycatcher. As part of the deal Cessna owns the software. The last software release was 6.2 so if you have a SLSA Skycatcher that is the latest software you can use. Cessna will not allow anything above that. According to Garmin, when the Skycatcher was pulled from production and Garmin didn't want to give up on the product they have a contract with Cessna that no SLSA software will be updated by Garmin without Cessna approval, and the Cessna software will remain locked. ELSAs are free to do what they want to and Cessna has not say say in that respect. So to get the good stuff, V12.10 for a Skycatcher, you have to be an ELSA. Working with Garmin, I believe they would like to allow upgrades but their hands are tied contactually. Garmin does not like it anymore that we do so please don't shoot the messenger.

I am still working out some issues with Garmin and they have been very helpful since the airworthiness issue has been resolved.

I have been taking notes and plan to post all of the steps involved and some lessens learned along the way that will help other Skycatcher owners or sport pilots in general.

Randall Bearden
Sport Pilot
LSRM - Aircraft
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

This (and the fact that updates are free) is why Dynon is probably better, if you had the choice.
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

Well both Dynon and Garmin sell quality products for both experimental and certified aircraft. I think the biggest difference is personal preference.
Garmin Technical Assistance has been very helpful in untangling the Cessna mess they left in the G300.
1) Finally have upgraded to G3X software to 12.10 in the refurbished G3X PFD and MFD.
2) Got the BK xCruze 100 autopilot installed and talking to the G3X non tough screens, passed ground testing
3) Going to take a break on replacing the transponder/GDL-82 until later this year.

All of this work had issues at every turn with the latest problem was configuring the existing engine sensors. Cessna wrote config files that used different pins to connect the sensors than the G3X calls for. At this point nothing is unexpected. Will be sorting this out this weekend and will update when completed and everything is working.

Randall Bearden
Sport Pilot
LSRM-Aircraft
Skycatcher ELSA