Himax 1400z

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Firsttimefly9999

Himax 1400z

Post by Firsttimefly9999 »

I recently bought a “Himax” it was a good deal but not shure if it’s a good beginner plane I was hoping to learn to fly the himax while I build a ch701 or Kitfox would I be better of to sell the himax
TimTaylor

Re: Himax 1400z

Post by TimTaylor »

How are you going to learn to fly in a single seat airplane?
Retired from flying.
Firsttimefly9999

I haven’t got that far yet.i got such a good deal I thought if nothing els i would finish building it and sell it.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Are you actually taking flying lessons now? What airplane are you taking lessons in and how many hours do you have? Just curious to know a little more about where you are coming from. Thanks.
Retired from flying.
Firsttimefly9999

I’m getting ready to go to ground school I’ve always wanted to fly but never new you could get into it by building your own plane.i work for a older gentleman who has built planes and has a pilots license.i jumped on the himax because I could afford it but not my intended plane.i want to do this the right way my plan is to sell the himax after I finish it and put the money towards a zenith 701 if I’d of done more reasurch I’d of started thear.i am 31 years old now that I’m learning the rules and more about airplane design I don’t think the himax is right for me but advise is always welcome.i live in mt and want to explore the back country I was a guide in the bob marshal wilderness for 8 years so I’m not compleatly new to small planes in the mountains.like I sead I’ve just learned about airplane kits and sport pilots license it’s not cheap but if I’m dedicated I can do it I have a lot more building exspeariance than most people twice my age.not a cockey person just have common cents.and am honest with my self.but I need all the help on how to get started and wichway to go about it
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I just read through an older thread on this site about learning to fly in a single seat airplane. It was an interesting read, but of little value because a character there kept posting totally bogus information and was very hostile toward CFI's for some reason.

If I was you, I would search for a nearby flight school that gives flight instruction in a light sport aircraft. Go there and take some lessons and make sure learning to fly is something you really want to do. Also, continue to work on your written exam preparation and take the written exam when you are ready.

What you do with the Himax is a separate issue. I'm not sure it would be of much/any value in getting your Sport Pilot certificate, but might be fun to fly when you are ready. I am unclear if you can fly it as a student or not. It might be very difficult to find a CFI who could/would sign you off to fly it. If that is even possible, it would only be possible after you have received required flight instruction from a CFI in a two place airplane.

If you have the time and inclination to complete the Himax, then go for it. On the other hand, if it was me, I would sell it and purchase a two-place tailwheel airplane or kit that is more in line with my ultimate mission. However, I would not invest any more money in this hobby until I had, at least, soloed a light sport aircraft and was sure this is something I wanted to pursue.
Retired from flying.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Tim offers great advice here.

Get instruction in an LSA from a CFI and then decide whether or not to pursue certification. If you decide you want to continue, get your sport pilot certificate and fly several different airplanes that will satisfy your mission requirements before spending a lot of time and money on something you'll be disappointed with.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Good advice, Stan, for someone whose goal is to fly. For someone whose end game is just to be an aircraft owner, rather than an aircraft driver... well, YMMV.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Are there actually people out there that want to own a single-place aircraft they can't fly? I don't think that's the OP's intent at all.
Retired from flying.
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

TimTaylor wrote:Are there actually people out there that want to own a single-place aircraft they can't fly? I don't think that's the OP's intent at all.
I don’t think they started out with that end goal but found it is easy to buy an airplane compared to what it takes to earn a certificate.

I know one fellow who is on his 3rd plane and owns two of them at the moment. Never soloed...

If you go to the airport, look for the planes with the grass touching the wings :D
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Firsttimefly9999 wrote:I recently bought a “Himax” it was a good deal but not shure if it’s a good beginner plane I was hoping to learn to fly the himax while I build a ch701 or Kitfox would I be better of to sell the himax
Just a reminder what this thread is about.
Retired from flying.
Firsttimefly9999

I think my statement has been misunderstood I’ve been around Lisa aircrafts and pilots I have access to a two seat Cherokee 140 for my training but like any thing I think thears a lot more to learn after flight school.the himax is for after all that.a plane to fly while I build my bush plane.if you guys want to criticize me that’s your problem.im doing this the right way I don’t want to be old with a license and no plane.ill I’m interested in is good honest advice and thank all of those who where willing to help.thears more than one way to skin a cat.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I don't think anyone is trying to criticize you. Just trying to understand exactly where you are coming from and what you are trying to accomplish so we can be helpful. I assume you know that if you train in a Cherokee 140, you will need to get an FAA 3rd class medical before you can solo.
Retired from flying.
Firsttimefly9999

Yes I understand that.im just going with what options are avalable to me right now.im trying to get into flying with a average budget I’m hoping I can do it without getting a 9 to 5 town job.i have all winter to finish the himax and go to flight school or reasurch my options.i will post some pictures of my plane in a week or two
Firsttimefly9999

My intended goal is to build fly sell intill I can afford a nice plane.im not rich but I’m hoping I can pull it off with hard work and determination.