ADS-B In/Out for Experimental

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Captain Bob

ADS-B In/Out for Experimental

Post by Captain Bob »

I fly an Arion Lightning LS-1 with a GRT EFIS Sport SX as my primary instrument display which has PFD, Engine, & MAP components. I also have a Garmin 37X which is a moving GPS map display with airport information. The comm is a Garmin SL30 and a GTX 327 transponder. I want to comply with the upcoming requirement for ADS-B out and would also like to have the traffic information displayed on my primary flight displays whether on the GRT or the Garmin.
As this is an experimental registered LSA I have some latitude in the equipment I install as long as it meet the requirements of ATC and the upcoming rule that take effect on Jan 1, 2020.
I'm looking for some suggestions as to both the best and most reliable as well as an affordable and economical way to get the information on my cockpit displays.
Capt Bob
Attachments
The whole Panel
The whole Panel
Full Panel.jpeg (189.25 KiB) Viewed 15044 times
Screen of my GRT EFIS Sport SX in flight
Screen of my GRT EFIS Sport SX in flight
GRT Panel 1.jpg (146.74 KiB) Viewed 15044 times
Blue Skies & Tailwinds,
Captain Bob
3Dreaming

Re: ADS-B In/Out for Experimental

Post by 3Dreaming »

eyeflygps wrote: Be careful that whatever you purchase meets the TSO performance requirements. Some say they do when they don't.
Or it might be that they do, but someone in a position of authority thinks they don't
RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

A way bit late, but this was not available earlier. Uavionix.com sells a ADS-B unit that has both ADS-B Out and In for $1400 through Aircraft Spruce. The Echo bundle comes with a WAAS GPS antenna, a ADS-B In antenna, control unit, and wiring harness. The weight of the addition is 600 grams! Has an app for configuring the ADS-B out information and Wy Fy for ADS-B In weather and traffic, works on both ForeFlight and Garmin Pilot. Installation is very simple and strait forward. You configure and see the performance of the unit on your iPhone or iPad. Uses your existing mode C or S transponder.
I installed one and on an FK9 that had a Funkwerk THT800T Mode S transponder and it worked perfectly both In and Out.

I really wish they would have offered this a year earlier, would not have installed the GDL 82 boat anchor and GDL 39 and saved about 4 lbs and a lot less work for installation.

This unit is only offered for LSA and Experimental aircraft, take the you certified guys.

Check this out if you need to add ADS-B to a new build or adding it to an existing LSA or experimental aircraft, This is the way it should have been done in the first place.

Randall Bearden
LSRM-A
Sport Pilot
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Yes, this is a great deal. I had one installed about a year ago and it works great. It is nice to have it all installed behind the panel with no additional accessories in the cockpit. I bought mine through Adventure Pilot as a package deal with their 740b 7" GPS display for about $1900 total.