AB aircraft process

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

langj

AB aircraft process

Post by langj »

Okay, now that my tail kit is on it's way I am looking into the process. Is there any paperwork I have to do for the FAA before starting my kit or at any stage during build. Or do I just apply for airworthiness when I am 60 days out. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Jack Tyler

Re: AB aircraft process

Post by Jack Tyler »

This might be an excellent time to learn about your local FSDO. What are the contact details (as you may want to visit there, not just call) and which office or person there specializes on E-AB builds? And sooner (or unfortunately, much later) you'll probably want the services of a DAR when you complete a given build stage. Your FSDO can help you identify someone in your area that's familiar with your project.

Forums are entertaining and often informative...but when it comes to issues like regulatory matters, it's better to go to the source.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
MrMorden

Re: AB aircraft process

Post by MrMorden »

All you are required to do is have an airworthiness inspection. However, I *highly* recommend having an EAA tech counselor come buy for at least a couple of visits during your build. It's free and a great resource provided by experienced builders. When I was working on my Sonex I had the visits when I finished my tail kit, and again when I was about 2/3 of the way through the fuselage. Had I finished I would have had a third visit before buttoning up the wings.

Also, document your work. I used MyKitLog Pro, but you can do it any way you prefer. Take *lots* of pictures, preferably of every part you make, and take at least short notes about what you do each work session. And include pictures taken by others of you working on the project. The FAA will want to see all of that documentation when you apply for the Repairman's Certificate to allow you to do your own annual condition inspections.

Good Luck and Have FUN!!!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA