Ordering 701 tail kit

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

newamiga

Re: Ordering 701 tail kit

Post by newamiga »

That is cool. I had no idea they had a factory related operation out west. Sounds like you are perfectly placed with metal working experienced folks. For me, working with aluminum was an interesting challenge. It has been a fun learning experience. You know it is funny that in talking to several of the kit manufacturers, I have heard from them that a used Rotax is a great way to go vice new. It was also interesting to read about your experiences flying with the 750 as a rental. We have a local flight school with a factory built one here. I really want go give it a try just for fun.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
langj

Post by langj »

Just received a call from the Zenith factory. They are ahead of schedule and my tail kit is shipping today. I have to say that is amazing turn around. I ordered last Saturday. So, only a four day turn around, wow! They must have had a tail kit ready to ship. I have heard they have been swamped with 750 cruzer quoting people with up to 6 month waits on getting the kit. I was quoted 4 to 6 weeks. It will probably get here next week sometime so that is less then two weeks. I guess I better get started on building my work bench. I will be posting pictures of the tail kit when it gets here.

Newamiga- The CH 750 is a very fun plane to fly. Amazing visibility and great short field capability. You would enjoy renting it. However, be prepared it is way slower then your rv-12. I have never flown an RV-12 I hear you do have good ground visibility due to the wings being further back.
langj

Post by langj »

I picked up my tail kit. I also ordered the tool kit so I ended up with a really big crate. I had it delivered to the fedex shipping center and I picked it up there. The wife helped me unload the crate into the garage. I opened the crate everything was wrapped up tight. I pulled all the tools out and electric trim kit and sealed the crate back up. Now just need to pull everything out and get a good inventory before I start building my workbench and then the airplane. I will post pictures and link to my blog I created for it soon.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Sounds great!
Remember, you're not building an airplane over the next X years. You're building parts today. Then assemblies this week. Then systems this month.
I've been on a great group of folks revolving around the Bearhawk experimental. All the guys who finished theirs said when they thought about building an airplane, they'd get discouraged at how long it takes. When they focused on just making parts and pieces and celebrated each as an individual goal accomplished, they pressed on and eventually finished. I'm really smitten by the Beathawk LSA. If 4+ hours of each day wasn't chewed up by commuting, it would be on my to do list.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:Sounds great!
Remember, you're not building an airplane over the next X years. You're building parts today. Then assemblies this week. Then systems this month.
I've been on a great group of folks revolving around the Bearhawk experimental. All the guys who finished theirs said when they thought about building an airplane, they'd get discouraged at how long it takes. When they focused on just making parts and pieces and celebrated each as an individual goal accomplished, they pressed on and eventually finished. I'm really smitten by the Beathawk LSA. If 4+ hours of each day wasn't chewed up by commuting, it would be on my to do list.
It's like that Johnny Cash song..."One Piece at a Time". :wink:

I totally agree, don't think of the whole project, it is too overwhelming. Think of each part or assembly as a mini project. That way each time you complete a part or put parts together you can celebrate a project completed. This mindset helped me a lot when I was building a Sonex.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote:don't think of the whole project, it is too overwhelming.
Same thing's true of flight instruction. If you think only about the ultimate goal (the license), it can seem overwhelming. So, set yourself numerous incremental goals (or have your CFI set them for you), and celebrate reaching each one.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:Same thing's true of flight instruction. If you think only about the ultimate goal (the license), it can seem overwhelming. So, set yourself numerous incremental goals (or have your CFI set them for you), and celebrate reaching each one.
And when you get really close to soloing but you're not sure that "today's the day", wear an expensive shirt. Worked for me.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Bruce, if you have to worry about the cost of your shirt, you can't afford to fly. :lol:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:Bruce, if you have to worry about the cost of your shirt, you can't afford to fly. :lol:
Which partially explains the dust on my logbook. :(
- Bruce