RV12 Smoke on

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

User avatar
David
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Ellsworth ME, KBST
Contact:

RV12 Smoke on

Postby David » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:32 am

Image

Image

Just another toy!
Last edited by David on Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
EAA 1434 Belfast ME
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com

User avatar
deltafox
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Smoke on

Postby deltafox » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:48 am

When are yo signed up for formation training?
Dave

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5804
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Smoke on

Postby drseti » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 am

You really need to replace those piston rings, David. You seem to be burning quite a bit of oil...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

User avatar
David
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Ellsworth ME, KBST
Contact:

Re: Smoke on

Postby David » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:31 am

drseti wrote:You really need to replace those piston rings, David. You seem to be burning quite a bit of oil...


I was waiting on your response, really LOL :lol:

How did the fly-in go last weekend, I heard you had early fog so I didn't come up
David
EAA 1434 Belfast ME
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com

User avatar
David
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Ellsworth ME, KBST
Contact:

Re: Smoke on

Postby David » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:32 am

deltafox wrote:When are yo signed up for formation training?


Yes, but the term would be very loose formation
David
EAA 1434 Belfast ME
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5804
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Smoke on

Postby drseti » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:47 am

David wrote:How did the fly-in go last weekend, I heard you had early fog so I didn't come up


Actually, I wasn't there, so can't tell you. This is the first time in years that I've missed a Sentimental Journey breakfast, but I was in Beijing last week, in Berlin the week before, am now in California, and won't be back on the airport until Friday. (Can you spell Jetlag?)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Nomore767
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Smoke on

Postby Nomore767 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:49 pm

drseti wrote:
David wrote:How did the fly-in go last weekend, I heard you had early fog so I didn't come up


Actually, I wasn't there, so can't tell you. This is the first time in years that I've missed a Sentimental Journey breakfast, but I was in Beijing last week, in Berlin the week before, am now in California, and won't be back on the airport until Friday. (Can you spell Jetlag?)


Wow, that's a lot of traveling! Those Sportstars are getting you great mileage on E10 auto gas!!
How many 5 gal gas cans does it take to get to Beijing? :mrgreen:

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 5804
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: Smoke on

Postby drseti » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:57 pm

oh, that's easy. Figure it's 10,000 nautical miles. At 100 kts cruise, that's 100 hours. 5 GPH means 1 jerry can per hour, so we're talking 100 cans.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

User avatar
MrMorden
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:28 am
Location: Athens, GA

Re: Smoke on

Postby MrMorden » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:30 pm

drseti wrote:oh, that's easy. Figure it's 10,000 nautical miles. At 100 kts cruise, that's 100 hours. 5 GPH means 1 jerry can per hour, so we're talking 100 cans.


Probably less fuel that the airliner burned to get you there...but not as fast. :wink:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

Nomore767
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Re: Smoke on

Postby Nomore767 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:22 pm

drseti wrote:You really need to replace those piston rings, David. You seem to be burning quite a bit of oil...


Looks like Dave is con-trailing....those Rv's are awesome!

3Dreaming
Posts: 2345
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Smoke on

Postby 3Dreaming » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:52 pm

IIRC there was a young aerobatic pilot who was violated by the FAA for making a low pass and pull up with smoke on. The FAA inspector deemed it was aerobatic flight and wrote the violation.

User avatar
David
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Ellsworth ME, KBST
Contact:

Re: Smoke on

Postby David » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:00 pm

3Dreaming wrote:IIRC there was a young aerobatic pilot who was violated by the FAA for making a low pass and pull up with smoke on. The FAA inspector deemed it was aerobatic flight and wrote the violation.


Those pictures were during a take off with smoke.
David
EAA 1434 Belfast ME
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com

User avatar
FastEddieB
Posts: 2465
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:33 pm
Location: Mineral Bluff, GA

Re: Smoke on

Postby FastEddieB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:09 pm

From 91.303:


For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight.



Vague enough for you?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
FastEddieB@mac.com

3Dreaming
Posts: 2345
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 pm
Location: noble, IL USA

Re: Smoke on

Postby 3Dreaming » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 am

David wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:IIRC there was a young aerobatic pilot who was violated by the FAA for making a low pass and pull up with smoke on. The FAA inspector deemed it was aerobatic flight and wrote the violation.


Those pictures were during a take off with smoke.


I think they were out to get the person I mentioned, but catch an inspector having a bad day and who know what could happen.


Return to “Experimenter's Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests