E-LSA Manufacturer (Builder)

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

dwehrly

E-LSA Manufacturer (Builder)

Post by dwehrly »

I was reading AC 45-4 on identification and marking, and I’m not sure if the kit manufacturer or my name is to be on the I’d plate:

6. What information is required on an ID plate attached to an S-LSA or E-LSA? The
ID plate must have (1) the manufacturer’s (builder’s) name, (2) model designation, and
(3) manufacturer’s (builder’s) serial number. Refer to § 45.13(a). Since S-LSA and E-LSA do not have type certificates and are not manufactured under a production certificate, ID plates need not contain a type certificate number or production certificate number. If an aircraft ID plate provides headings for “type certificate number” or “production certificate number” with spaces available for that data, both data spaces should be marked with “NONE.” The builder may add other data on the plate but this data cannot be confused with the information required to be listed on the ID plate.

Anyone know this first hand or otherwise?

Thx,
Doug
Sling 2 E-LSA
dwehrly

Re: E-LSA Manufacturer (Builder)

Post by dwehrly »

ID plate.
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

For S-LSA, THE Manufacturer.

For Experimental, it's you (the builder) 's choice. Keep in mind when filling out the Registration papers, The words you chose to put in the manufacturer's name block, determines what searches in FAA Databases will show your airplane. I.E. If you build a Vans RV-7 and name it "John Smith Scooter" it will never show up in any Vans searches and if someone is searching for "how many RV-7's are flying" or searching Google for RV-7 accidents/safety, your Scooter won't be included..

For my Revolution Mini-500, My forms were completed with "COBB, BRYAN D." as the manufacturer.
plate medium.jpg
plate medium.jpg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 19350 times
All paperwork and the data plate must be exactly consistent.
Attachments
tr small.jpg
tr small.jpg (99.88 KiB) Viewed 19346 times
1.JPG
1.JPG (113.07 KiB) Viewed 19350 times
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
dwehrly

Post by dwehrly »

Thanks For the detailed info Bryan.
David

Post by David »

dwehrly wrote:I was reading AC 45-4 on identification and marking, and I’m not sure if the kit manufacturer or my name is to be on the I’d plate:

6. What information is required on an ID plate attached to an S-LSA or E-LSA? The
ID plate must have (1) the manufacturer’s (builder’s) name, (2) model designation, and
(3) manufacturer’s (builder’s) serial number. Refer to § 45.13(a). Since S-LSA and E-LSA do not have type certificates and are not manufactured under a production certificate, ID plates need not contain a type certificate number or production certificate number. If an aircraft ID plate provides headings for “type certificate number” or “production certificate number” with spaces available for that data, both data spaces should be marked with “NONE.” The builder may add other data on the plate but this data cannot be confused with the information required to be listed on the ID plate.

Anyone know this first hand or otherwise?

Thx,
Doug
Sling 2 E-LSA
I believe the KIT Manufacture for an ELSA and the builder for an EAB Experimental. I built mine as an EAB and I am the builder.

A quote from a DAR,

“EAB: You are the builder. You will be the only person eligible for the repairman certificate. No class requirement for repairman certificate. Minimum 40 hour phase I. May make any mods you like. Mods that take the aircraft out of LSA parameters make the aircraft ineligible for sport pilots.

ELSA: Vans is the builder. You and any subsequent owner may take 16 hr class for repairman certificate. Minimum 5 hour phase I. Must build exactly per plans. Modifications after certifications as long as the mods don't take the aircraft out of LSA parameters. Mods that take the aircraft out of LSA parameters make the airworthiness certificate void.
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
bryancobb

Post by bryancobb »

David wrote: I believe the KIT Manufacture for an ELSA and the builder for an EAB Experimental. I built mine as an EAB and I am the builder.

A quote from a DAR,

“EAB: You are the builder. You will be the only person eligible for the repairman certificate. No class requirement for repairman certificate. Minimum 40 hour phase I. May make any mods you like. Mods that take the aircraft out of LSA parameters make the aircraft ineligible for sport pilots.

ELSA: Vans is the builder. You and any subsequent owner may take 16 hr class for repairman certificate. Minimum 5 hour phase I. Must build exactly per plans. Modifications after certifications as long as the mods don't take the aircraft out of LSA parameters. Mods that take the aircraft out of LSA parameters make the airworthiness certificate void.

On this form for MY CERTIFICATE, I checked Section II, B, 4, 2 (Red X's) For it to be an EAB Experimental Amateur-Built
It looks like for a factory built S-LSA, the factory will check Section II, B, 9, Light Sport, Airplane (1st set of Blue X's).
I think for a kit initially assembled as an E-LSA, The builder will check Section II, B, 4, 8, 8B (2nd set of Blue X's).
Then I think for a factory built S-LSA that the owner wants E-LSA Airworthiness, The owner will check Section II, B, 4, 8, 8C (set of green X's).
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (219.88 KiB) Viewed 19264 times
Bryan Cobb
Sport Pilot CFI
Commercial/Instrument Airplane
Commercial Rotorcraft Helicopter
Manufacturing Engineer II, Meggitt Airframe Systems, Fuel Systems & Composites Group
Cartersville, Ga
[email protected]
David

Post by David »

Do you already have a dar? They should help you, if not call your fisdo
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
dwehrly

Post by dwehrly »

Hi David, no I don’t have a DAR yet. I still have a lot of work to do before I need to register.
Thanks!
Doug