TRSA's and Sport Pilots

Jason spent 24 years as an air traffic controller at Los Angeles Center, and recently moved east to work in DC in the Airspace office as an air traffic subject matter expert. He is a Sport Pilot, owns a Rans S12XL E-LSA, and got his >87 knot endorsement so he can rent a C162. He's here to answer your questions about ATC procedures and rules, in a strictly unofficial capacity.

Moderators: drseti, Flim63

foresterpoole

TRSA's and Sport Pilots

Post by foresterpoole »

OK, so I have what's probably an easy question but I just can't seem to find an answer. Here in Louisiana we have some Delta airspace airports that also have TRSA's (LCH & MLU) around them. I understand the rules about operating in B,C, and D airspace, I have to get checked out. How about these TRSA's that surround/buffer them? It sounds like the ATC is optionally offered like flight following??? In some cases they extend out a good distance, while it appears that I could fly under them or over them I can't find anything that would allow or not allow me to fly through them operating a light sport aircraft as a light sport pilot. I understand these areas were never covered under classified airspace, in some cases they morphed into C or B like areas around CLE. Can I get a clarification from a more experienced pilot or controller?!?
Ed
Merlinspop

Re: TRSA's and Sport Pilots

Post by Merlinspop »

Ed,

You're question is probably best answered by calling your nearest FSDO, but short of that, I'd call EAA or AOPA and see if either of these groups have already addressed the question to the FAA.
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Re: TRSA's and Sport Pilots

Post by 3Dreaming »

If you are flying in class B, C, or D airspace then you need the airspace endorsement. If you are flying in class E or G airspace you are OK, even if it is part of a TRSA associated with class D airspace.