Alternate tower frequency

Jason spent 24 years as an air traffic controller at Los Angeles Center, and recently moved east to work in DC in the Airspace office as an air traffic subject matter expert. He is a Sport Pilot, owns a Rans S12XL E-LSA, and got his >87 knot endorsement so he can rent a C162. He's here to answer your questions about ATC procedures and rules, in a strictly unofficial capacity.

Moderators: drseti, Flim63

flykp

Alternate tower frequency

Post by flykp »

What is the specific reason for an alternate tower frequency and when would I use it?
Flocker

Re: Alternate tower frequency

Post by Flocker »

flykp wrote:What is the specific reason for an alternate tower frequency and when would I use it?
Someone flying in the vicinity, on frequency, with a stuck/open mic would be one reason I would use it.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Flocker wrote:
flykp wrote:What is the specific reason for an alternate tower frequency and when would I use it?
Someone flying in the vicinity, on frequency, with a stuck/open mic would be one reason I would use it.
Also if Tower is working an emergency on the main freq.
- Bruce
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

It could be as simple as to much traffic. During high traffic times they may use 2 controllers coordinating traffic from different sides of the airport. Anyway listen to ATIS, and it will likely tell you if the alternate frequency is in use.