Class D Bust

Jason spent 24 years as an air traffic controller at Los Angeles Center, and recently moved east to work in DC in the Airspace office as an air traffic subject matter expert. He is a Sport Pilot, owns a Rans S12XL E-LSA, and got his >87 knot endorsement so he can rent a C162. He's here to answer your questions about ATC procedures and rules, in a strictly unofficial capacity.

Moderators: drseti, Flim63

MrMorden

Re: Class D Bust

Post by MrMorden »

MovingOn wrote:Everybody got the joke. Implicating someone in an FAA violation is not a joking matter.
I don't know if mentioning someone in a thread on the internet about a violation is really "implicating" them.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MovingOn wrote:Of course you wouldn't. His clear intent was to imply it was me who flew the Mooney through the Athens class D airspace. But that's OK because he was just kidding. That is one of the definitions of "implicate."
From a legal perspective, "implicating" somebody in an offense means presenting evidence that that person had means, motive, and opportunity to commit the offense, and thus is a reasonable target for investigation.

I don't see the comment made as rising to that level. No reasonable investigator would conclude from that comment that you are a reasonable target to investigate, so you are not "implicated", at least in a legal sense.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MovingOn wrote:Implicating someone in an FAA violation is no joking matter. It doesn't matter how I took it.
There was no implication that you were in violation of any CFR or with the FAA! The fact that I put <joke> there was to add emphasis to the fact that there was NO implication.
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

I still would like ATC to weigh in on my OP. Does anyone know if Jason still monitors this forum?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Flocker wrote:I still would like ATC to weigh in on my OP. Does anyone know if Jason still monitors this forum?
His last visit was on May 2nd.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MovingOn wrote:Of course you wouldn't. His clear intent was to imply it was me who flew the Mooney through the Athens class D airspace. But that's OK because he was just kidding. That is one of the definitions of "implicate."
If I had ask the same exact question (Don't you fly a Mooney sometimes?), and the thread had been about someone who had crashed a Mooney and was killed would you think I was implying you were dead?
If I wanted to imply that it was you, I would have said something like this. Were you out flying your buddies Mooney around Athens this weekend?
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

MovingOn wrote:I agree. Enough of this.
We're just chatting, no worries. Dropped.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Let me just add that if you fly long enough, it's not unlikely that you'll end up violating airspace somewhere, somehow, someway.

I once got discombobulated departing North Little Rock and ended up well within Little Rock AFB Class D by accident.

Whoops!

Departed the airspace as quickly as possible, and filed a NASA ASRS form on the incident. Never heard a word about it.

It's fine to criticize an inept pilot. But it's not like any one of us is immune from the occasional slip.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Flim63

Post by Flim63 »

Huge apologies everyone, the FAA has done 2 office re-organizations in the last 8 months and I have been exhausted with cubicle hopping. I am now in AJV-11, Airspace policy and Rulemaking handling the dockets for Class B and C airspace changes and MOA and restricted airspace stuff...

Now, on the the question.

It's possible that if his transponder was on, ATC could track him to landing and then give him a call, we did that often in the days of TCA's, but a Class D bust would be unlikely to follow up on. Sad, I know, that somebody that causes so much aggravation is clueless to their offense. Interesting story, Will Rogers approach in OKC (class C) had a VFR call up and they said november 'so-and-so' (used his call sign) standby. The pilot decided communications-established and entered the class C (rightly so). The controller got pissed lodged a violation but on research they heard the initial call and told the controller he was wrong, Unfortunately right before hitting class C airspace, the pilot busted Class D at Wiley Post and they busted him on that...

the controller
drseti

Post by drseti »

Welcome back, Jason! Sorry to hear you've been playing musical cubicles.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US