Aerotrekking: 3-axis trike substitute?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ussubs

Aerotrekking: 3-axis trike substitute?

Post by ussubs »

The Skygypsies flying out of Arizona and New Mexico have pioneered what they call aerotrekking under the leadership, and behind the money, of, John MacAfee of virus software fame. He's spent $12 million on building small airfields and bases for aerotrekkers, almost all of whom fly Air Creation Tanarg flexwing trikes. The point behind aerotrekking is to spend as much time as possible flying at 10 feet AGL and some level 5 routes in canyons are pretty extreme.

The Tanarg, fully equipped is about $85,000, thanks to the exchange rate with the Euro. That seems like a lot of money for a trike, no matter if it comes from France or anywhere else.

The Tanarg with a Rotax 912 and the iXess wing will cruise at 80 mph, has a fairly low stall speed and will climb at 1000 fpm. The useful load is about 500 lbs.

I flew one last week and found the wing stiff and while it was fun to fly sitting out in the wind for a few hours of a time is not my thing anymore.

The Skygypsies are pretty negative about flying anything other than a trike on their aerotrekking routes. They will allow a 3-axis machine to join them as long as it has a semi-open cockpit.

I've owned four ultralights (MX, MXII, Falcon, Challenger II) but have been out of flying them for about 10 years.

I'm looking for an LSA with the following characteristics and wonder if you can help with suggestions:

Useful load of 550-600 lbs
912 or 912S engine
Short take off and landing distances (e.g. ~300 feet)
Good stall to cruise speed ratio
Minimum 80-90 mph true cruise
Excellent slow flight characteristics
Room for a 6' 2" 240 lb pilot and his 6' wife
Rate of climb of 1000 fpm or above at gross
Large tires and good landing suspension with hydraulic brakes and clearance for rough field use (all could be retrofit)
Removeable doors or semi-open cockpit
Tricycle arrangement preferred
Pusher configuration preferred (for visibility)
Ready to fly preferred

A Superhornet with the new 30' wing might be a good match.
The A-22 Valor looks good as well, even though it's a tractor.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

If you come up with a good match I can arrange some simulator time in the world's only deep submersible pilot simulator. It's pretty cool.
L. Bruce Jones
Pilot & Sub builder
ussubs.com • poseidonresorts.com
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Do they map out the routes or have some kind of trail markers?

Sounds like fun.

How's the terrain?

Is it private land they are using or government area?

Website?
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
ussubs

Post by ussubs »

Check out skygypsies.com and particularly read the press articles.

I understand that John McAfee drove some 17000 miles initially exploring the routes. I also believe that there is a wide variety of open terrain.
L. Bruce Jones
Pilot & Sub builder
ussubs.com • poseidonresorts.com