Information on STOL LSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

wjfyfe

Information on STOL LSA?

Post by wjfyfe »

Hello, We are presently considering a LSA to replace our Cessna 150HP 150. Here are my thoughts and maybe some of you can advise me on my sanity.
Our Cessna 150/150 is a great airplane for most of what
we have done with it. But recently we have decided that we just are
not that interested any more in the longer cross country flying. Thus
negating need for speed and baggage area. So am looking for an
airplane that is more comfortable doing low and slow just for local
pursuits. An airplane that is more capable of those shorter, rough
airstrips. Or, possibly no airstrip at all. One that folds down easily
for transport so we can take the airplane with us when we travel. Both
of us cannot be classified as small so not to tight of cabin space
would be nice. And I believe that I would like a tandem setup. Presently the Kolb Mark III or Kolbra seem to fit our requirements and price range. (Used is fine.) I figure about $30,000 for our 150/150. That would be our limit.

Any other thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?

Thanks muchly!

Bill Fyfe
Bill Fyfe
Grants Pass, Oregon
vwvectors

Post by vwvectors »

My thoughts are to keep what u have it reads that the 150 already fills your mission .
Opinions are like armpits everybody has a couple & they usually stink .
wjfyfe

Post by wjfyfe »

Thanks for the reply. But the Cessna 150/150 falls short on several counts. It really is not an aircraft to be flying low level. It does not handle rough fields, or off airport, well. It is not transportable.

Oh! And something I failed to mention earlier. I wish to be free of the maintenance requirements of the certified aircraft.

Bill
Grants Pass, Oregon
Bill Fyfe
Grants Pass, Oregon
pilotjohn

Post by pilotjohn »

Look at the EuroFox (there are some used ones out there.) It might be a bit more than what you're looking to spend though. It comes in both tricycle and tailwheel version. The gear looks and feels sturdy, as does the entire airplane - although it is fabric (Polyfiber) covered. It'll match your 150's speed, take of very quick with the 912ULS, and the wings fold.
vwvectors

Post by vwvectors »

Your budget is the limiting factor here but I agree with Pilotjohn the Eurofox would seem to be a good fit try trade-a-plane & aso.com at the very least to see what's out there .
Opinions are like armpits everybody has a couple & they usually stink .
pilotjohn

Post by pilotjohn »

There's also the Apollo Fox variation: http://www.apollo-fox.com/
This EuroFox seems to be for sale: http://www.n5zf.org
wjfyfe

Post by wjfyfe »

vwvectors wrote:Your budget is the limiting factor here but I agree with Pilotjohn the Eurofox would seem to be a good fit try trade-a-plane & aso.com at the very least to see what's out there .
Oh yea! These are way way out of our budget. My world means an airplane a third the cost...............

Sigh...........

Bill
Grants Pass, Oregon
Bill Fyfe
Grants Pass, Oregon
DKarnage

Post by DKarnage »

Maybe a Kitfox or an Avid Flyer? Since you don't have any tailwheel time, if you do enough searching you can find em in tricycle gear...or you can convert them. Or just get some tailwheel training. ;)
Last edited by DKarnage on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ramallama

Post by ramallama »

Here is an ad I saw in Barnstormers.com.

CESSNA 150 OR 152 • WANTED FOR TRADE • Rans S-6S Coyote II w/Rotax 912S engine. I would like to trade for a very clean Cessna. Pictures and technical information furnished to any interested party. If you want to get into a light sport qualified aircraft, here is your chance • Contact Robert L. Stone, Owner - located Harker Heights, TX USA • Telephone: 254-698-1517 • Posted June 25, 2008 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures
DKarnage

Post by DKarnage »

I think he's looking for something that has folding wings
pilotjohn

Post by pilotjohn »

May still be out of your budget, but a Zenith 701 is another option as a kit.
Like this one: http://www.controller.com/listings/airc ... 132288.htm
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

Look on barnstormers and search sky ranger. They are an awesome flying plane and it is right in your balpark for price. Plus you might even have a little left over?!
"Keep on Draggin"
wjfyfe

Information on STOL LSA?

Post by wjfyfe »

Thanks, I believe that I will be more research on the Sky Ranger.........

Presently the Kolb Mark III and Kolbra have kind of caught my attention also.................

Bill
Grants Pass, Oregon
Bill Fyfe
Grants Pass, Oregon
mcjon77

Post by mcjon77 »

If you like the Sky Ranger, you may want to check out the X air H http://www.xairusa.com/. It reminds me a lot of the sky ranger. I think Cub Flyer on this board bought and built one, so he would be a better judge of the quality of the product.
wjfyfe

Information on STOL LSA?

Post by wjfyfe »

Just a little follow up. The Arlington Washington air show was last weekend. We took a couple of days off of work to attend. It was supposed to be the best way to get up close and personal with aircraft that are out there. Especially in the category of ultralight and ELSA. Imagine my disappointment when we found only a couple of this type of aircraft in the owner display area. Under a dozen. And none that fit my criteria. Very disappointing indeed. it looks like the fuel prices are really going to put the crunch on such shows.

In the Vendor area, in our price range there was the Kitfox. The Kitfox appears to have a fairly good folding wing system. Though. the twitchiness of the Kitfox as a tail dragger was a consistent topic among the lookers. And that lil tiny nose wheel is smaller then on our present 150. The CH701 showed some better attributes. But lacks the easily foldable wing.

I keep getting drawn back to the Kolb Mark III or Kolbra. This appears to be the aircraft which meets most of my wants. And is within our price range. But I am having one heck of a time getting up close and personal with one. Too bad Oshkosh and Sun n Fun have to be so far away.

Bill
Grants Pass, Oregon
Bill Fyfe
Grants Pass, Oregon