gyroplanes

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

CTflyer

gyroplanes

Post by CTflyer »

Wondered if any of you guys have experience in a gyroplane.

As I've about given up finding rental LSA fixed wing aircraft, and can't afford to buy, store, and maintain one, I've been reading about gyroplanes. With horizontal stability, they're controlled with "fixed wing" type yoke and pedals. They're usually considered quite stable, and would fulfill my "mission" of short xc (under 150nm) and affordability.

Not 'copters, but the descendant of the 1930s autogiro. At under $10K, storable and flyable from my own backyard, it sure seems more affordable to me. Many are considered ultralights, but some are actually LSA. The 35 hours I've got logged would get me started. Just trying to keep the dream alive.

Some of my web reading:

Popular Rotorcraft Association - www.pra.org

American Autogyro - www.americanautogyro.com

Various manufacturers - http://www.pra.org/index.php?option=com ... &showall=1

Just a thought. Here's an example, a Sycamore Mark I.

Two-seat tandem fully enclosed gyroplane
Engine: 115 hp Rotax 914 turbocharged four-stroke
Propeller: 68" ARPLAST 3-blade
Rotor Blades: Chayair composite

Specifications:
Min Speed 35mph
Cruise 80 mph
Top Speed 110 mph
Empty Weight 380 kg
Useful Load 210 kg
Gross Weight 590 kg
Width 5'11"
Height 8'6"
Length 17'9"

Thanks.
Tom
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I was supposed to take a ride in a Gyroplane at a rescent airshow. Unfortunately, it did not make it back to the runway after the demo flight before mine. Therefore, I decided to cancel the demo flight.

With that said, they apparently fly like a airplane and the engineering advances have come a long way, making them safer.

Another alternative is the powered parachute. This is probably one of the greatest motored flight experiences you can have.
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I've never flown one. I did sit in one at Sun-n-Fun a year ago. I like the concept, but here have been some really deadly 'gyros, so be careful.

As to cost, what you will find is that the big ticket item is the engine. This is something I'm struggling with for my home built. A new Rotax 912S is about $20000 by the time you get it installed. A 914 is a similar engine, but is turbo-charged, so I'm sure it's substantially more. Furthermore, a Rotax costs a lot to rebuild, I think I saw $13000, and the TBO is only 1500 hours.
The only alternative to shelling out major bucks is an auto-conversion. I'm not altogether comfortable with this, and it's something you would likely have to install yourself. Cost is about $7000 for a professionally converted engine. Note that weight wise (hugely important) Rotax really doesn't have any competitors in the 4 stroke engines. Jabiru is close, but just as expensive, if not more so.

A new $10000 gyro almost certainly doesn't include an engine.

Ron
ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

There are some new 2 place gyroplane that are really cool looking but you are back to the price of a new LSA. 75-100K Check out the sportcopterII at sportcopter.com and the ufoenforcer.com and the xenongyroplanes.com. I like all three of these....There are some FAA hurdles still to jump over on these but I hope that is all cleared up soon and you will see more of these in the air.
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

A gyrocopter is quite interesting to fly. I am not rated in them yet but have enjoyed my two flights and am considering building a Littlewing [/img]http://www.littlewingautogyro.com/. A less expensive machine such as the Gyrobee http://www.thegyrobee.com/ could be bui ... training.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

I hate to say it but almost everyone I knew who had a gyro died in it.

Usually the same way. Buzzed friends. Pulled up into a "wingover" type of turn and lost rotor RPM.

SPLAT. Pilot is first to arrive followed by the mast and then the engine. no protection at all.

Not a fault of the machine but it got them all except the guy who lost his blades and rode the aluminum tube into a lake. hit the mud/shallow water from low altitude and the fishermen pulled him out. Pretty broken up but he survived.

that said I would love to fly the old Air and space gyro or the Little Wing.

the little bensons with high thrustlines have some issues if not properly handled. Ken Brock did great demos for years safely.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Cub flyer wrote:I hate to say it but almost everyone I knew who had a gyro died in it.

Usually the same way. Buzzed friends. Pulled up into a "wingover" type of turn and lost rotor RPM.
Charlie - by any chance were those "unlucky" guys flying Bensen gyro's? Those early machines had no horizontal stabilizer at all, and I believe were famous for "PIO" (pilot induced oscillation) and ground looping.

By the way, I found some of the old Ken Brock films. Actually very instructive if you've never touched a gyro before (and because they were all originally one-seaters). He must have filmed those things out on the Great Salt Lake.

Say - here's a great story of John Miller and Amelia Earhart on the first attempt at a transcontinental gyroplane (Pitcairn-Cierva) flight. Miller made it there and back. Earhart crashed once on the way out, and totalled it on the way back. But as she was sponsored by Beech-Nut and her husband relished PR, she got all the publicity.

http://www.aviation-history.com/airmen/ ... togiro.htm

John Miller is now 102 years old, and up until a car crash last year was still flying his Bonanza.

Thanks.
Tom
flyboy2007

Post by flyboy2007 »

If you want something affordable to buy, fly, and maintain.. check out a challenger 1 or 2 . You can buy these quite resonable and they are a blast to fly. there are about 10 or 12 by our airport and everyone loves them. Look on barnstormers.com and search challenger. I bet you will be surprised at the price and performance.
"Keep on Draggin"
Rotor-Head

Post by Rotor-Head »

Looks like an older thread, but I'll chime in.. I fly gyroplanes and they are the best.. Very stable, safe and easy to store and maintain..... They are pretty good on cruise speed and will out maneuver ANYTHING out there.

Cheers...