Mini Waco

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

Mini Waco

Post by Cub flyer »

Anybody see the mini Waco in the newest EAA sport aviation.

Nice looking airplane. Appears LSA legal also.

Wonder how light you could make a LSA biplane using the same kind of construction. Then make the cockpit section removable for summer open cockpit and winter closed cabin. mild Aerobatic stressed

It appears he made it with no flying wires, just struts.

The empty weight seemed good with a Aero Vee engine and lots of scale details.

I e-mailed to try to get more info.
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

I also saw that, it's a nice looking airplane. Most of the biplanes I have seen have been too heavy to fit into the light sport category. It would look really sweet with a Rotec radial. :D
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

I had a phone conversation with the builder of the waco. Seems this is one in a string of homebuilts he and the local EAA chapter have designed.

The wing structure is similar to the Kolb wing with tube ribs and tube spars but the spars are not the leading and trailing edge.

Says the cruise is around 85 mph and max around 90. Climb is good at around 1000fpm solo.

They reweighed it and the first scales were wrong. Weight is at 780 lbs.

Still not bad for a scale biplane under the SP limits.

The stabilizer needed some rigging on the first flight but everything is fine now. He is flying the time off so they can take a passenger.

Engine is the AeroVee VW copy. Says it is pretty loud and they might find a better muffler.

Prototype still under testing.

I hope it is at Sentimental Journey this summer so I can get a closer look.

He flies out of Franklin Pa. Opposite side of the state from me but I might stop in if I get out there again . Said he will send me a photo CD which should be interesting. I requested plans if the ever become available.
AerolabNW

Post by AerolabNW »

Most of the biplanes I have seen have been too heavy to fit into the light sport category. It would look really sweet with a Rotec radial.
Aerolab will be offering one (with a Rotec).
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

How's the prototype coming. I've been watching the website for photos.

Are the Walter engines still supported?
AerolabNW

Post by AerolabNW »

I’m assembling LoCamp S/N004 and you can see my progress on the Builders' Corner section of the company website (www.aerolab.it - buttons along the bottom of the page) or for more pictures visit www.mykitplane.com. The BiCamp (biplane version) prototype is being worked hard in Italy. The HiCamp was about 80% done but still with the wooden wings (all configurations are being switched to fabric covered metal wings). People at airshows were more interested in the BiCamp than the HiCamp so effort has been diverted to that configuration.

The Walter Mikron IIIc engine is definitely being supported and the CEO of Aerolab has been in conversations with them defining the options to be included (electric start and such). Thanks for asking!
kbaxter26

Post by kbaxter26 »

Has anyone been able to find pricing for the Mikron III?
AerolabNW

Post by AerolabNW »

Has anyone been able to find pricing for the Mikron III?

MikronIIIC 80 Hp Engine $18,400
MikronIIIC Shipping $600