Electric elevator trim

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

owenstrawn

Post by owenstrawn »

Sorry, I should have said RAC. They were originally produced by MenzimerAircraft Components, but that is a long time ago.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

MAC was an older brand of servo. I think the Allen is the same thing.

One thing to watch is if a airframe manufacturer lists the electric trim servo as an option and it is installed in the elevator did they check for flutter and / or rebalance the controls.

The servo adds a lot of weight to an elevator or aileron if installed in the control. Better would be install in the stabilizer and run a pushrod.

Also is the airplane controllable if the trim runs to full deflection due to some kind of malfunction.

Manual trims are not perfect either. The Cessna 185 in a shallow dive with a worn elevator trim ratchet will all of a sudden run to full up trim. Just makes kind of a tick tick then zip noise and you start pitching up real fast.

Makes you pay attention to wear in the little trim clicker after that.
Mostlyflying.blogger.com

Post by Mostlyflying.blogger.com »

My AMD-made 601XL has the trim buttons on the top of the stick and they can be a pain. Honestly, I think the aileron trim is more dangerous than the elevator trim. I immediately feel a change in pitch... particularly with a good breeze blowing up my shorts.. but it might take a second to properly interpret grossly out of trim elevator and figure out what happened.

At my 50 hour check, I had the folks at AMD crank back the sensitivity potentiometer a quarter turn. It made all the difference in hitting the right trim setting quickly.

If I'm going solo cross country, where I will be wrestling with airport diagrams, charts, the A/FD, etc and there is an excellent chance that I will bump a rim button, I will pull the trim breaker. On my panel that breaker is set off by itself and easy to find.