Garmin vs AvMap

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Chuck

Garmin vs AvMap

Post by Chuck »

Does anyone have experience with the AvMap EKP-IV? If so, how does it compare to the Garmin 296, 396, 496?
scottj

GPS

Post by scottj »

We have used both in our aircraft at the Flight School. AvMap and Garmin. Garmin, if you get the 496, has the capability to add XM Radio and all that. Our AvMap is a simple aviation GPSr with a nice looking, large, screen and intuitive controls.

Price and your budget is where you should start. Features and non-aviation uses (Garmin you can take out and put in your car), etc. I would try both of them before buying one. I like them both, but they have differant characteristics.

I have an instruction manual for both on my website if you want to compare them. I think I downloaded it from the factory, check there for a current guide.

http://lsanorth.com/planning.htm
Flight training begins on the ground, not in the air.℠
2011 FAASTeam Representative of the Year, Great Lakes Region
http://www.SticknRudder.com
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thanks! I appreciate your input. By the way, you have a very useful and informative website.
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I have used both. Garmin is much better in my opinion. That is largely based on the fact that I beleive Garmin maps are better and the system is more intuitive. Also, portability is a big thing...
Roger

AvMap vs Garmin

Post by Roger »

I have both except the GeoPilot Plus II not the IV. My 496 is panel/gizmo mounted and a pain in the rear to use because of its small size and other draw backs BUT it does a great job of running my autopilot.

I hold the GeoPilot in my hands and use it to see where I'm going, find Freq., and all other GPS info. Weather is suppose to be coming.

I'm hoping Dynon will come out with a high res five to seven inch screen GPS/autopilot/weather combo that mounts on my panel and I can "ditch" both of these.

Roger H
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Thank You for your input and information. Both systems seem, to me, to be good systems. I am leaning toward the AvMap because my "mature" eyes can better seen the larger screen.

Dynon, are you listening to Roger? It would be great if you could come up with a navigation system that is as good as your flight and engine instrument glass panels.
Chuck

Post by Chuck »

Here is an update. I purchased the AvMap GeoPilot II Plus and used it on a short cross country today. What a sweet gps unit! The Quick Guide that comes with it could be improved - I found that I learned to operate the GPS quicker by just playing with the buttons; pretty intuitive.

AvMap, at Sun n Fun, announced the weather option is now available and can be used on the EKP IV and the GeoPilot II Plus (not available on the GeoPilot II). If anyone has purchased this option, I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks to all of you for your input.