Zlin Savage CUB LOOK-ALIKE

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

skunker

Zlin Savage CUB LOOK-ALIKE

Post by skunker »

Does anyone know much about the Zlin Savage J3 cub look-alike?

I was reading the latest issue of SPORT PILOT and it had lots of good things to say (of course, gotta keep the advertisers happy:) ). I noticed the price was substantially less than the legend/cubcrafter cubs. The 100hp Rotax engine is awesome and it even has flaps.

However, there doesn't seem to be many in the US market (I think only 11) and therefore I wonder if all the bugs have been worked out. I noticed there was a fatal crash for one of them in August.

Anytone had the chance to fly one? Good enough for cross country flying?
cavscout96

Post by cavscout96 »

I guess that depends on your definition of CC.

by FAA it could be a pretty short ride to be classified as CC.

My definition of CC is from KY to TX. Big difference!!!

nice loking A/C though/ I'm looking forward to others' responses.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

A look at the low time airplanes on display at oshkosh.

Structure is remarkably similar to the Rans S-7. Just rounded tips

Lexan side windows were cracking around a lot of screws

I seem to remember something odd about the tail brace wire attachment but not sure. Might have just been unusual hardware.

Floors were incomplete so you could put your feet directly on the belly fabric. Ok for an owner flown airplane but might be rough with a rental.

No nose gear option to help rental insurance.

Spades on the ailerons are an option, tube wing spars.

Cover job and finish looked nice. Did not see one with the cowl off.

Cockpit was comfortable.

I would like to fly one.

Their website has some really nice paint scheme options. Why they use the false cub scheme I don't know. Does not really fit the airplanes shape in my eyes.

They have a nice tundra gear option for true off field work.

Amelia Reid Aviation has one for rent. They liked it when I contacted them. Had a landing accident once but no fault of the airplane. I think it is fixed by now.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

The Feb 08 EAA Sport pilot mag has a good writeup and pilot report of the Savage. A red one is on the cover.