dogfight

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

dogfight

Post by Cub flyer »

Chasing a 125 hp Smith miniplane with the 65 hp Vagabond a few days ago.

First surprise pass from the rear caught us napping. We were ready for the next one.

Smith is faster but the vagabond with full fuel and two on board can still out turn the Smith.

Started as a curving head pass and we turned into him to spoil his shot and not allow him to build up speed.

He passed slightly above and to the left. We did a left chandelle got things reversed.

He broke left figuring I was out of airspeed and could not reverse. Then it got into a turning war.

The old Vag has an amazing ability to change directions in a flash. I could turn inside him and keep my spinner leading his headrest. We had almost no G floating around the center of the circle and were having no problem keeping inside. He was pulling 2.5-3 G and stalled out after 1.5 times around the circle.

The Mini just has too much drag when pulling around a turn. After his recovery we had the unloaded airplane with a speed and altitude advantage.

The six .50's ended it with a quick burst into the cowling. saw one chute.

After being captured behind enemy lines he announced "I hesitated when looking back to see where you were. Heard a bang when a flap on my helmet started banging around" "Thought it was my spinner rattling at first" "late getting the power back in" excuses...excuses.

That was long enough for us to turn in and get on his tail.

I'll be watching my 6 from now on.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

War is hell :lol:
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

That sound like way to much fun, even though just the thought of those maneuvers makes my poor stomach churn.

Could you enlighten us as to what constitutes winning. I'm afraid I'm not up on my dog fighting.

Keep us posted if you do this again.

Ron
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Actually the vagabond never left normal category limits. No more stomach churning than students practicing dutch rolls.

local rules are:

1. Initial pass at good distance to establish visual contact
2. wing wag by victim to acknowledge
3. Attacker turns to intercept by whatever means needed
4. If visual contact is lost whoever lost it flies wings level and on last heading. Then visual contact is reestablished and formation flight is practiced.
5. No lower than 1500 AGL
6. everyone goes right in a head on.

To win your opponent cannot continue to maneuver for attack position.

Smith could not maintain his turn and stalled out. I win.

If I could not maneuver and he could get behind from the initial position then I lose.

Last I lost was with a Navion and Tripacer.

I had the 225hp Navion and lost.

Faster does not always work.

A few of us have done these for years. This does not mean you can "bounce" any unsuspecting person. You need to pick an area and time before hand. FAR's say formation flight needs prior planning.

Few of us have radios or starters so it can be discussed before propping.

Best duo was a Stearman and Flybaby I have heard. The Stearman can go up and down the same vertical line and pivot real tight during a hammerhead.