Do Aerobatics, LSA, and Sport Pilots Mix?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

letsfly

Do Aerobatics, LSA, and Sport Pilots Mix?

Post by letsfly »

Hello,

Are sport pilots allowed to do aerobatics in LSA? If so, are there any LSA that allow for this? I flew in a Remos G-3 600 and it said NO AEROBATICS on the control panel.

I am sure most of you have seen this by now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X8GcFqTpYM

Thank you.
SP_Laser

Post by SP_Laser »

From what I can read in the FARs, there are limitations on where a pilot (any pilot) can conduct aerobatics...congested area..etc.

Sport Pilots can fly :
(F)LSAs(FAA 14 CFR, that meet LSA),
(AB)LSA(Am Built that mean LSA)
ELSA (Exp that meet LSA, and not meet Am Blt),
SLSA (Non FAA Consensus LSAs, factory built)

Sport pilots must comply with the airworthiness certificate of the plane they fly.

A (F)LSA is just a regular airplane, so if the AWC allows aerobatics, then probably...

A home built Zodiac is a HB(LSA), so the builder defines the airworthiness certificate? So maybe that's OK

A factory built Zodiac would be a SLSA, and probably prohibits aerobatic manovers completely. (I think)

I don't have a copy of the SLSA standard and I don't know if it dictates AWC terms????

Personal Note: I have never flown in a SLSA that did not prohibit aerobatics.
________
Edsel II
Last edited by SP_Laser on Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SkySteve

Post by SkySteve »

Here is a video of Jimmy Franklin doing aerobatics in his Kitfox at Oshkosh in 1992. This guy knows how to fly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Xj8FOUtGc
Steve Wilson
Huntsville, UT
Kitfox
Convertible Nose Wheel & Tail Wheel
912A / Warp Drive Prop
garyo1939

Post by garyo1939 »

SkySteve wrote:Here is a video of Jimmy Franklin doing aerobatics in his Kitfox at Oshkosh in 1992. This guy knows how to fly!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Xj8FOUtGc
Has that plane had anything special done to it to beef it up, fuel, oil, etc. Or is it something that can be done with the stock plane with training?

Gary
GARY N ORPE
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

The clipped wing Kitfox Speedster is NOT designed for aerobatics.

Jimmy was flying an unmodified airplane but was light, solo and knew what he was doing very well.

It sold a lot of airplanes.

Rans made the S-9 for aerobatics and the S-10 two place too. They are for sale at reasonable prices I hear they are very light in pitch. I've never flown one that's what I have heard.

There was an Aerobatic quicksilver and also an Aerobatic Maxair Drifter.

I have heard of some Flybaby Aerobatics but I don't with mine and the stock brace cables. It has done them before but is getting on 40 years old.

Cub manuals list loop speeds. Luscombes used to do Acro all the time but are all getting pretty old. I've seen taylorcrafts do some odd things.

The Clipwing cub is pretty safe and sane. Ruins a good cub in my opinion but they have been used pretty hard over the years and seem to hold up ok.

Solo aerobatics in a low Hp are pretty non stressful if done properly.

Two place operations and any vertical stuff is a different story.
It makes a big difference adding 200 lbs to a LSA legal airplane.

Time in a 150 Aerobat would be good training.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery