Anybody have problems converting to E-LSA?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

leithalweapon

Anybody have problems converting to E-LSA?

Post by leithalweapon »

If anybody else has had problems converting their ultralight to an E-LSA I'd like to hear about it. I had several problems in the process. A few with the plane and a lot with the DAR! He was listed on the EAA website as a voluteer, but turned out to charge $300. He was rude and really just totally unproffessional. Before he handed me the airworthyness certificate he made a comment about not trying to sell the plane. His exact words were "You will find yourself in court looking stupid if you try to market this thing". Is he right? Is everybody with an E-LSA stuck with them until the go to the boneyard?

I would really appreciate some feed back. I'm feeling like I made a huge mistake. I would not recomend this conversion process to anyone at this point. :cry:
wildbil7

Post by wildbil7 »

What fat ultralight did you have inspected. CGS hawk, challenger, what?

As for the unprofessionalism of the DAR. the majarity of them are professionals and conduct themselves as such. and are very helpful in assisting you in the process of the conversion. The cost of 300 dollars is a bargain considering the going rate in my area of 350 to 500. Dars are in demand right now due to all the conversions and they can charge pretty much what they want.

As for his remarks about your aircraft. If it was so bad he wouldent have issued the AW on it. also his remark leads me to believe he was in this inspection thing for the money and the money only and has probably never had any interest in the UL Community and could care less about it. you just got a horses A$$ as an inspector. Ha! look at the bright side. you got the AW certification and made the time line of jan 08.

As for the aircraft being AW as ELSA. there is nothing wrong with that and helps in the marketability due to the fact that the next owner can do the annual on it if he or she goes and takes the 16 hr repairman course. My Challenger CW is E-LSA and I will be attending one of the 16 hr couses in the future.

There will be folks who will obtain there sport pilot certificates and will want to own there own plane and wont be able to afford an SLSA new or used and will discover the lighter side of the LSA's which are a whole lot easier on the pocket book whether they build it or buy an E-LSA.

So, go and enjoy flying your AirWorthy LSA. I fly my challenger CW every chance i get. weather permitting.
leithalweapon

Post by leithalweapon »

The plane is a one of a kind. I have yet to talk to anybody that converted anything other than a Challenger or 2 place quicksilver.

I called the EAA to ask their advice about switching DARs. They knew who the DAR was before I even got the entire name out of my mouth. They, in so many words, told me not to be a whistle blower and to just deal with him. Once the DAR has the paper work he can do whatever he wants until issuing the AW. The DAR made a threat to permanently ground the plane or as he called it "make it a hanger queen or an expensive door stop". He also told me to have an A&P with an IA come out an inspect it before he did. I think your right about him not liking UL aircraft.

My biggest complaint is that in the EAA conversion guide it says to give the DAR a copy of the condition inspection. When I emailed hime copies of all the required paper work he promptly called me and screamed over the phone that he did not want the condition inspection. Then he proceeded to tell my my handwriting was awfull. Which is funny because I can't read any of his handwriting.

Anyway, I think your right about just enjoying flying it. It is a really neat little airplane. I did not build it, but I do have a mechanical engineering degree and can tell it was built like a tank. If I can figure out how. I will send you a picture of it.

Thanks for your input. I really think this sport pilot rule is going to be great for aviation. The only down side I see is what has happened to the price of existing GA aircraft that qualify for LSA. The prices are going up fast. Also, the new LSA are way out of most peoples realistic price range.