Electric power

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

Electric power

Post by Cub flyer »

Paul Hamilton had a post on LSA rules where it was mentioned that electic was not included in LSA rules.

Anyone see any news or the Sonex in action. I saw the electric trike and it was pretty cool.

I wonder if the part 103 rules could be amended to include the weight of 5 gallons fuel as empty weight for electric power? 30 lbs would help a lot.

No density altitude trouble. No hot starting problems. Cold weather may be an issue.

Electric RC has come a long way. Batteries are getting bigger by the week.
vwvectors

Post by vwvectors »

Let's hope the FAA can reverse it's polarity on this oversight . :lol:
Opinions are like armpits everybody has a couple & they usually stink .
SP_Laser

Post by SP_Laser »

So, do I understand it right that the only people who could legally fly the "ElectraFlyer" electric trike after Jan 1 2008 is a private pilot or higher?
________
No2 vaporizer
Last edited by SP_Laser on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

I think it was part 103 legal. Ultralight.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
SP_Laser

Post by SP_Laser »

Cub flyer wrote:I think it was part 103 legal. Ultralight.
OK so it's light single seat ultralights(103) are OK, but two seat and 'heavy lights' have to become LSAs. Is that correct?
________
Herbal vaporizers
Last edited by SP_Laser on Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Yep. Actually there was never really a legal 2 place ultralight except the ones in a registered training program. (very few). All others that are two place are illegal unless converted to ELSA.

The ELSA conversion will end soon and then they'll be illegal like before if the registration did not happen.

FAA Inspectors are calling it the "wild wild west period" referring to the number of unregistered airplanes coming out of the backwoods to be licensed. No building log or prior history of the airplane needed. No 51% rule.

Nothing like this has happened since the CAA was formed and started requiring airplanes to have Airworthiness certificates in the 1920's.