08 CTLS

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

08 CTLS

Post by Cub flyer »

Last edited by Cub flyer on Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I thought it was pretty interesting that CT is now acknowledging that their design is not as easy to fly as it probably should have been.

"That model worked well for experienced European pilots... "but as the US created the Special Light-Sport Aircraft category, our market got much broader and an updated design is smart to maintain market leadership," Betsch continued."
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

i read the article again and can't see the admission that you find interesting.

keep in mind the new designs are targeted at different niches within the lsa category. the ctsw, the current design will remain.
artp

Post by artp »

CharlieTango wrote:i read the article again and can't see the admission that you find interesting.

keep in mind the new designs are targeted at different niches within the lsa category. the ctsw, the current design will remain.
He quoted it.

I suspect when they have a new model the CTsw will go the way of the CT when the CTsw was introduced.
tadel001

Post by tadel001 »

I assumed that when referred to the plane being built for "experienced pilots" he was referring to the plane not being suitable for inexperienced pilots.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

"not suitable" is too strong. a number of pilots have learned in ctsw's, it is suitable but training is far from it's strong point.

"not as easy to fly as it probably should have been"

it was designed for short rough european microlight fields and high performance at the same time. it fills this mission and others quite well.

the new designs will fit niches that are clearly wide open and these niches require that the designs be good trainers.

if i'm right we will see the ctsw continue to sell along side the new designs.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

artp wrote:...
I suspect when they have a new model the CTsw will go the way of the CT when the CTsw was introduced.
that would be the CT2K, i know a couple that owns one and they fly it long distance and think highly of it.

i don't know art, the ctsw has a 20% market share, you would walk away from the market leader?

with at least one new design in 08 flight design will continue to be one of or the most important slsa manufacturers

this tread is misnamed "08 ctsw" is not what the article is about, the article is about the release of at least one NEW design, not a new ctsw.
artp

Post by artp »

CharlieTango wrote:i don't know art, the ctsw has a 20% market share, you would walk away from the market leader?
When Cirrus redesigned their wing for the SR22 they went from the SR22G2 to the SR22G3 and stopped selling the SR22G2. They have now introduced the new wing on the SR20G2 which is not the SR20G3 and they are dropping the SR20G2. When a manufacturer makes major improvements on a design there is no point in continuing with the old design especially if that design has safety issues.
Cub flyer

CTLS

Post by Cub flyer »

Sorry did not mean to startup the CT debate again.

The message needs to get out to anyone with a CT on order that there is a change possible. I have not seen any official FD annoucements of a tail change.

If FD stays with physical description. I'm only guessing here but the CT became the CTSW with short wings. Since this is the CTLS per the article I would guess at CT long stabilator. Narrower chord and longer span. Different airfoil.

That would make sense since a aft fuselage change would require changing all the molds. I remember not too far back FD announced they had made a few more molds to increase production. I don't think they will change all the molds.

Since the 06 fin was a bond on unit over the old smaller fin. I'm guessing the stabilator will be a bolt on change also.

I'd like to see them make it available as a optional pre balanced bolt on part so owners can choose the stabilator to tune handling per their abilities or prefrences.

As a mechanic I remove and install/ balance stabilators on Piper Cherokees and Comanche all the time. No big deal.

Sounds like little or no performance loss.
Cub flyer

LS

Post by Cub flyer »

Guess it could be CT light sport also. Waiting for an official announcement.
bfven

Re: LS

Post by bfven »

Ken Godin, Flight Design USA
Ken Godin from Flight Design USA reviews 2007 activity and forecasts what will happen in the light sport aviation world in 2008. Dan Johnson interviews. Flight Design USA (11/27/07)

http://www.ultraflightradio.com/impodca ... 71127a.mp3
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

During a recent meeting with EAA staff to discuss a larger presence at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, Flight Design President Matthias Betsch and Flight Design USA President Tom Peghiny shared this advance photo of a new model of the CT, which will be unveiled publicly in early 2008.

ka7eej

Post by ka7eej »

Same sort of thing happened to the Allegro 2000. It is a little harder to fly than some other LSA's. They now have the Allegro 2007. Easier to fly and some other good changes. Am I going to to sell my Allegro 2000 and buy a 2007??? No.. And I am keeping my 2006 Tahoe as well. It only has 6,000 miles on it!! And I like to looks of the 2006 better than 2008. Maybe the 2008 is easier to drive???? I so love the Sport Pilot Forum. I still think you should either own a LSA, be a CFI training SP, a Sport Pilot or a Student looking to become a Sport Pilot to use this forum..Otherwise SIT DOWN..
Owner of N3081X (Cover Girl) A Beautiful Allegro 2000 as seen on the cover and inside of several magazines!!
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

"I still think you should either own a LSA, be a CFI training SP, a Sport Pilot or a Student looking to become a Sport Pilot to use this forum..Otherwise SIT DOWN.."

Hmmm - not sure I understand. Do I hear a touch of frustration here?

Tom
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

Flight Design to Unveil New Model
Flight Design CT

December 6, 2007 — During a recent meeting with EAA staff to discuss a larger presence at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh, Flight Design President Matthias Betsch and Flight Design USA President Tom Peghiny shared this advance photo of a new model of the CT, which will be unveiled publicly in early 2008.

The new airplane is a nose-to-tail redesign; virtually every aspect of the CT was upgraded to provide an evolved airplane that better meets the needs and desires of recreational pilots. But Betsch and Peghiny stated the current CTSW will remain in production alongside this new model.

In addition to working on this redesign, Flight Design has developed an extensive training program for its sales and maintenance representatives to advance their knowledge of the Flight designs airplanes, including training and maintenance issues.

Look for more information about the new model soon at www.FlightDesignUSA.com.