china

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

china

Post by Cub flyer »

I'm not too worried about the quality. Most stuff from the east is pretty good. I do a lot of RC model flying and have used Futaba radios, OS and Saito engines, Lots of different prebuilt models and kits. They are all of the best quality.

It is just sad it is cheaper to ship raw materials and components 1/2 way around the world. Have something built, Then ship it all the way back. Reassemble it, All the communications and trips to set something like this up. Manage something like this at such a distance. Different languages, systems of measure etc.

And to have them say there is a $70,000+ savings in cost plus the above extra expenses.

That is really bad.

Legend Cub, Sport hornet and others are made here.

I think the real trouble is the Vendors make money, Cessna makes money, Textron makes money. Too many hands out for what profit the final product can generate.

I can see Cessnas dilemma. A 172 and 162 cost nearly the same to produce. wheels, brakes, engines, instruments, glass, paint, metal is all nearly the same cost on both airplanes. LB for LB the 162 will cost more per $ of sale price.

If we can't employ a lot of people to build an airplane here lets design one that employs a few and is built locally. The technology is there. Has been for many years.

Above someone mentioned I should fly the Zenith. I have not flown the 601. I did fly an Alarus (CH2000) once. It was fine. The stabilator was a little funny on takeoff and it tended to overrotate. in the air it flew well. Lots of control authority. Toured the factory at Eastman GA.

Do the LSA 601's have the hingless ailerons?

I'm a highwing guy for low and slow flying. Unless a nice Culver Cadet comes my way.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

sorry hit wrong button. Wanted to post this in the Cessna LSA built in USA thread.

Anybody know how to switch it?
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

I'm not trying to be Zenith fanboy here, just passing along some info.

The 601XL does use hinge-less ailerons. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I've never heard of a problem with hinge-less, just seems a little creepy to an engineer like myself. I'll probably use the hinge-less on my homebuilt because it's lighter and easier to build. Its an easy to inspect item and reasonably easy to replace later if I change my mind.

Zenith is currently finishing up design of the ch750 I saw the prototype in Missouri. Most of the 40hr have been flown off of it. It's a high wing STOL LSA to be built (as far as I know) in the Georgia factory. It looks just like a Ch701 but larger and with a higher GW (the 1320lb LSA maximum). There is talk of making available as a kit do to the high interest in the homebuilt community. I didn't try to get into it, but the cabin looks extremely roomy for a LSA. This looks like another "Fly Swatter" to me, more plane, less money, built in the USA using conventional parts.