Dipsticks attached to fuel caps

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

Dipsticks attached to fuel caps

Post by Cub flyer »

Here is one of those eureka moments. While reading the newest Vintage Airplane EAA rag there is a great article on the Bucker Bestmann. In there a little note said the fuel caps had dipsticks attached like the oil cap!

I wonder why this is not more common. Makes sense to me. I can never find the stick or drop it into the tank. Not the best for real tall tanks but most wing tanks would work fine.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
JimNtexas

Re: Dipsticks attached to fuel caps

Post by JimNtexas »

Cub flyer wrote:Here is one of those eureka moments. While reading the newest Vintage Airplane EAA rag there is a great article on the Bucker Bestmann. In there a little note said the fuel caps had dipsticks attached like the oil cap!

I wonder why this is not more common. Makes sense to me. I can never find the stick or drop it into the tank. Not the best for real tall tanks but most wing tanks would work fine.
The Cub I learned to fly in had something even better. The fuel tank was right in front of the pilot, and the gas cap had a wire stick with a cork on the end, so you had an almost infallible gas gage right in front of you.

Of course there are small disadvantages to having the gas tank right above the pilots ankles.
Cub flyer

caps

Post by Cub flyer »

reliable and simple. They figured it out back then. Almost like electricity was not trusted.

another thing that makes me wonder is why it took so long to invent disk brakes?
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

The Cub I learned to fly in had something even better. The fuel tank was right in front of the pilot, and the gas cap had a wire stick with a cork on the end, so you had an almost infallible gas gage right in front of you.
You know you're describing a Model A Ford gas gauge? The tank was directly behind the dash and the gas gauge was a needle, a pivot and a float in the tank....
Cub flyer

nope

Post by Cub flyer »

I'm thinking about one a little different. not Model A. The Piper Vagabond has those. And no not a wire with cork like in the cub.

This was a dipstick attached to the fuel cap just like an oil dipstick on an O-200.

I dip my tanks before each flight on most airplanes with a paint stick, metal stick or clear tube. Keeping them around is a pain. They get left on the wing, broken, lost, etc.

If the stick was attached to the cap like on an oil dipstick then you would not have to hunt for it. Always calibrated right, and it would not smell up the cabin.

It would not work on airplanes that have caps needing more than 1/4 turn to remove or the Thermos caps on my apache but others would be fine.

Vented caps with the small ram air tubes could have a clear tube and you just hold your finger over the cap hole. Some have an alternate vent on the backside so they would not work but it's an idea.