Biggest Cub clone cockpit?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Mooniac

Biggest Cub clone cockpit?

Post by Mooniac »

I could get into a cub, if only, I could get into a cub.

My one flight in a cub was as much fun for the folks watching me get in and out as it was for me to fly. I have a 36" inseam, and I am not at all flexible.

Are any of the new cub clones much bigger inside? I always heard the Bellanca Scout had a bigger cabin, but never got to try one on.
Cub flyer

Puttin you cub on.

Post by Cub flyer »

Trouble with most cub clones are they widen the cockpit but really the front legroom and door position is the worst problem.

To get in front seat stand forward of the wing strut with your left leg against the side of the fuselage just behind the wheel. face the propeller and with your left hand grab the windshield V brace. Right foot on tire and lift up to be sitting on door sill. Slide back until you can swing BOTH feet into the cockpit on either side of the stick. Then slide forward into the seat. Much easier than other methods.

To get in the back stand just behind the strut. Reach in and grab the upper skylight tube. Place your right foot in the stirrup/step and lean forward. Your left knee will now bend and swing your foot in to the left side of the stick. Put weight on your left foot and swing your right leg and foot in. You should now be standing in the cockpit bent forward over the front seat with both hands on the forward winshield braces. Now just sit down but make SURE the stick is forward first. Stick back is unpleasant at best. You have now put your cub on.

The Cub crafters cub has had the most cockpit redesign of any I have seen. There are really no parts that will interchange with a stock cub and the door is longer.

Other option is the new Champ which is the same cabin as the Scout.

Try the technique above and it might work better.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery