Rans S-19 pirep

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Hydroguy2

Rans S-19 pirep

Post by Hydroguy2 »

I just returned from a Fly-in at WestDesertAirpark in Utah. The highlight of the trip was flying the new Rans S-19. Picture taking on the trip wasn't good due to smoke/haze, but have a few that I'll post later after a nap or two.

Initial impression as I walked toward the plane. Very nice looking, the canopy is huge. Looks good. Interior, although not finished, looked spacious and well laid out. getting onboard was tricky, but once settled into the seat, it was very comfy. Plenty of room, more than a 172. Slide the seat back and I couldn't operate the pedals. Once the seat was positioned, the legroom was very good. Start up was typical Rotax, turn the key and it's running at 1800rpm before you can blink. NOW taxiing was the toughest part of the whole Demo. I have never been in a swiveling nosewheel plane. I need some time to learn the proper technique to tap the brakes at the correct time without using rudder. Slid the gigantic canopy closed and all was quiet. Nice. Full power and the plane zips right along, rudder becomes effective fairly quick. I don' recall all the numbers but I think we climbed out at 80mph, 500fpm. leveled off at 6500. DA was 8150', we were indicating ~117mph at 5gph. The plane seemed heavy and needing more power. I'm 6' 240#, my demo pilot was Randy(MR. Rans) in the rightseat and I assume 6' 180#. He said we were at Max gross. They are working on trimming ~40# weight.
The controls were light and balanced. Rudder?, what rudder? it wasn't needed. Turns stayed coordinated with my feet on the floor. Steep turns were effortless. Pitch stability was excellent. Stalls were a pussycat. Power off gave plenty of warning and the nose just fell forward. Power on stall put the nose very high, if you still didn't realize you were screwing up, the stick would shake/shudder, prior to pitching forward. . West Desert Airpark is a 24' x 2600' so being a brandnew prototype light sport I followed Randy thru the landing. Approach was about 80 power off and seemed to land with no effort.
Rans has a couple of details to work out, but overall the S-19 will be a winner. Very nice handling, solid, 2 seater.
Image[/img]
It just one Dam job after another

Brian
GeraldZ
Site Admin

Post by GeraldZ »

Thanks for the pirep. Will this be sold as a kit or an SLSA?
Hydroguy2

Post by Hydroguy2 »

not positive, but yes i think so :D

Brian
Hydroguy2

oops hit submit too soon

Post by Hydroguy2 »

I think they are close to shipping tailkits for the kit builts. Then offer a factory built later

Brian