Aircraft purchase "Short List"

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

fatsportpilot

Re: Aircraft purchase "Short List"

Post by fatsportpilot »

drseti wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:48 pm Most all-metal LSAs use .020 (20 thousandths of an inch) aluminum skins. That's what we engineers call oh-two-oh, and Burt Rutan calls oh-two-thin.
Is that dangerously thin in your opinion? I'm actually in the process of purchasing a Dova Skylark (with a fuel return line, unlike some of their older models), and it is all-metal.
drseti

Post by drseti »

fatsportpilot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:15 am Is that dangerously thin in your opinion?
Not in my opinion - I've flown fabric covered aircraft, and the fabric is much thinner than that! But you have to be aware of where you step and where you push, and absolutely keep such a plane hangared (hail on the ramp can do it serious damage).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
yabiah

Post by yabiah »

fatsportpilot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:15 am I'm actually in the process of purchasing a Dova Skylark (with a fuel return line, unlike some of their older models), and it is all-metal.
Love the Dova, and the fact that they are still being manufactured is a plus.
Are you looking at N853DY? I communicated with the owner (Thomas) last Dec.
Was waiting for him to contact me after completion of the annual, and he never did.
Good luck with your purchase!
StingSport N606N S-LSA / Retired Long-distance motorcyclist; IBA #558
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

yabiah wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:45 pm
fatsportpilot wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:15 am I'm actually in the process of purchasing a Dova Skylark (with a fuel return line, unlike some of their older models), and it is all-metal.
Love the Dova, and the fact that they are still being manufactured is a plus.
Are you looking at N853DY? I communicated with the owner (Thomas) last Dec.
Was waiting for him to contact me after completion of the annual, and he never did.
Good luck with your purchase!
That's the one! I'm going through his broker, Donny.
yabiah

Post by yabiah »

A little update;
In Jan, I purchased a 2008 Remos GX. Flew it for a few months and now it's on leaseback to the flight school I learned to fly at.
It's working out well, so far. I haven't had any issues with scheduling and it's getting flown daily.
It's high time and will need to be down for a week or two in the fall for some freshening up and possibly a new/used 912ULS.
Tim

fatsportpilot, what's up with the Dova?
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

yabiah wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:12 pm A little update;
In Jan, I purchased a 2008 Remos GX. Flew it for a few months and now it's on leaseback to the flight school I learned to fly at.
It's working out well, so far. I haven't had any issues with scheduling and it's getting flown daily.
It's high time and will need to be down for a week or two in the fall for some freshening up and possibly a new/used 912ULS.
Tim

fatsportpilot, what's up with the Dova?
Finally bought it! Drseti did the phase 1 (documentation) part of the prebuy. :)

Now it's just getting some necessary repairs (5yr rubber replacement etc), then it'll be ferried to California!
yabiah

Post by yabiah »

fatsportpilot wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:51 pm Finally bought it! Drseti did the phase 1 (documentation) part of the prebuy. :)

Now it's just getting some necessary repairs (5yr rubber replacement etc), then it'll be ferried to California!
That's awesome, congratulations!
Will you be doing the ferrying?
Let me know if you plan on stopping anywhere near the Phoenix area.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Edit: Congrats on your buy!!

SportCruiser / PiperSport: I agree with ShawnM. You would have to plan on going E-LSA. Support evaporated. Great plane though if purchased and pre-buy inspected carefully. There are good aircraft out there, but they might not be the first few that pop up on the ad listings. Nose gear and canopy latch are critical soft spots that need to be inspected and maintained properly… but this should not scare you away. They are great aircraft.

Lightning: Sexy as hell but do your research carefully. I’m not going to knock the plane or the manufacturer, but that is a plane for a very specific type of pilot. It’s a very slick and fast aircraft. IMO

Bristell: Excellent plane, excellent support… It ain’t cheep though… and I am just itching for one!

Finding a very knowledgeable LSA / Rotax AP or LSRM is super important. Can’t stress this enough.

Familiarity with the specific aircraft you buy can be very valuable as well. If you’ve been flying a certain make & model and have learned it’s strengths and weaknesses, and maybe even assisted or watched it being maintained, that’s a great advantage to have.

Switching make and model isn’t a bad thing though, but it will have a learnining curve. It’s worthwhile if you need or desire something different in your personal aircraft.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:48 pm Most all-metal LSAs use .020 (20 thousandths of an inch) aluminum skins. That's what we engineers call oh-two-oh, and Burt Rutan calls oh-two-thin.
I’m sure an RV12 is a wonderful plane.

But when I went to sit in one at a Sebring Light Sport Expo I was cautioned where to support my weight with my hand on the wing when getting in. The aluminum did have the feel as being about as thin as an aluminum can. I’m sure it’s up to its task, but it sure did seem thin.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]