Survey on crosswind effects and accident experience.

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

eap1701

Survey on crosswind effects and accident experience.

Post by eap1701 »

Hello everyone,

My name is Elliot, I am undergraduate student and student pilot, right now I am doing an independent research project on reducing the crosswind impact on an LSA/Ultralight tailfin upon landing by using something called a plasma actuator, to try and reintroduce stability and thwart accidents in the future. I wanted to get a perspective of the community on their experiences with crosswind landings and how they have dealt with them as well as hearing about your thoughts on transitioning between GA aircraft to light sports. The survey should only take 3 minutes to complete, thank you all for your time.

Elliot from Canada.

Survey: https://survey.sogosurvey.com/r/gudJ91
fatsportpilot

Re: Survey on crosswind effects and accident experience.

Post by fatsportpilot »

8. In your opinion, why do you think LSA craft are known for having high accident rates?
What? LSA accident rates are not high. At least not for any modern one with a 4 stroke engine.

Also reducing the effect of crosswind on light aircraft requires more than just reducing the effect on the tail. With light aircraft gusts and thermals can get under the wings and make things difficult. Unless your plasma actuators can block unexpected thermals and wind shear then they aren't a replacement for proper rudder control and stick into the wind.