Who owns a C162 Skycatcher? Some questions could use help with...

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

JimParker256

Re: Who owns a C162 Skycatcher? Some questions could use help with...

Post by JimParker256 »

RBearden56 wrote:If you want make common sense improvements and don't plan to rent your aircraft out for flight training ELSA is the way to go. For example the GDL 82 will cost about $5000 to purchase and install for ADSB and add 4 lbs. A Garmin GTX335 is $3000 and a much easier install, no cutting new antenna mounting holes on the top and bottom of the fuselage, no weight gain, a lot of wires with expensive connectors, etc.
And, if you're in the E-LSA category, you could also keep your existing transponder and use the uAvionix echoUAT, which sells for $1,495 (including their SkyFX WAAS GPS, so only $995 if you already have an approved WAAS GPS source). The echoUAT is a great solution for US-based E-LSA, since it transmits ADS-B OUT on the 978MHz UAT frequencies, and includes a dual band (UAT and 1090ES) receiver. Installation is really easy, since the only required connections are power, ground, the GPS antenna lead. The guy who did mine took well under 2 hours to install it. Configuration is done via an Apple or Android app, and takes maybe 5 minutes. You can also use the app to change the settings to use the "anonymous" mode provided by UAT. (This does NOT hide you from the FAA, however. They can still tell who you are.)

You can (optionally) connect the unit via Serial RS-232 to your EFIS (Dynon, MGL, GRT, AFS, Garmin, Sandia, and Apollo are all supported). Even without that connection, if your EFIS (or EFB, such as ForeFlight or FlyQ EFB) supports Wi-Fi connectivity, you can get ADS-B IN data (both UAT and 1090ES are supported for "IN", but only UAT for "OUT"). And if you've got one of the few transponders that require it, there's a second RS-232 serial connection available for the transponder. (But the vast majority, including the good old KT-76A in my plane, don't need that serial connection - the echoUAT detects the transponder data via the aircraft electrical system - almost like magic! Works really well!)
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
ryoder

Re: Who owns a C162 Skycatcher? Some questions could use help with...

Post by ryoder »

There is a secondary battery like others have stated. It might need to be replaced. Personally I ignored it and just immediately started my 162 after turning the master on. I hated waiting until the AHRs was set to start the engine when the PFD would just reboot anyway.

Make sure all your SBs are complied with. There are many. One includes new motor mounts and this might be part of the rough idle issue.
I always idled mine just over 1000 never under or on 1000 and it was smooth enough.

The cigarette lighter is very weak. I was planning on installing a USB charger to replace it. I didn’t plan to go ELSA as long as my mechanics would still sign off the annuals and the old lighter could be reinstalled. My 162 had air vents installed in the door glass which are not approved but super awesome. No mechanic would care and most wouldn’t know it was an unapproved alteration.

Btw I sold my 162 after 3.5 years of ownership. Great airplane. I just didn’t fly it enough to justify the expense. My next airplane will be something faster. I owned a Mooney for 2 years prior to getting the 162 and liked it a lot but the cabin was way more cramped. I loved the spacious cabin of the 162 and it’s spectacular view.

Enjoy the 162 and if you have any questions PM me. I don’t check the forum thst often.