Bristell NG5 Taildragger Option

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Bristell NG5 Taildragger Option

Post by drseti »

I've been negligent in not keeping this thread updated over ths past year. For those interested in the ongoing TDO saga, I've put a bunch of additional photos and documents up on:

http://avsport.org/acft/tdo.htm

The short version is: the plane went back to the Bristell dealer in Lancaster PA last Spring, for installation of stick and rudder pedal extenders and re-weighing. During the latter, I discovered a wt/bal anomaly - it was possible to load up the plane well within the safe envelope, fly it, burn off fuel, and then end up with the CG too far aft. I deemed that unsafe, and got an LoA from the manufacturer to attach two counterweights to the gearbox, shifting the CG forward far enough to keep CG in the envelope even at zero remaining fuel. This cost me 18 pounds of useful load, but makes me feel much safer.

When I got the plane back to KLHV, I made a few avionics mods, and have a few more pending. I'm trying to turn a really good aircraft into a perfect one. ;) As a consequence, I'm not getting a lot of time flying the TDO, but having world of fun with it.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

Paul great photos, I will find time to fly over and take a peek at her. I will buy lunch if you have a place in mind and drive 😁
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
drseti

Post by drseti »

It's a deal, Dave. Ring me up the day before, and we can make it a date.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US