Has Dan Johnson finally gone off his rocker?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cockpit Chronicles

Re: Has Dan Johnson finally gone off his rocker?

Post by Cockpit Chronicles »

Cub Crafters and Legend are building LSA Cubs with 180 hp engines.

I don’t know Dan Johnson, but I sure do appreciate his videos and reviews. His site is a wealth of information.

Why the hate? Especially for someone who has given us so much.

Sigh.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Cockpit Chronicles wrote:Cub Crafters and Legend are building LSA Cubs with 180 hp engines.

I don’t know Dan Johnson, but I sure do appreciate his videos and reviews. His site is a wealth of information.

Why the hate? Especially for someone who has given us so much.

Sigh.
My instructor says he doesn't trust him because he only describes the good aspects of different LSAs in his reviews instead of giving an unbiased comparison. It's not a bad thing because he's not biased towards some one company but it does mean that he'll point out that a plane has great stall characteristics but might not point out that it has a terrible useful load or something.

I like Dan Johnson even if he is a bit of an optimist.
HornedFrogGrant

Post by HornedFrogGrant »

fatsportpilot wrote:My instructor says he doesn't trust him because he only describes the good aspects of different LSAs in his reviews instead of giving an unbiased comparison.
I agree, his "reviews" are definitely to be taken with a grain of salt. With that said, as President/Chairman of LAMA, it's literally his job to be an industry cheerleader.
Grant
Sport Pilot - ASEL
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

While I appreciate Dan's effort to put out all of the info that he does (especially regulatory updates), "cheerleader" was the same exact word that I came up with after viewing some of his "infomercials" for various S-LSAs. I can go to the manufacturer's website for that info; what I need are real-world unvarnished assessments about a candidate aircraft's flying qualities under various operational conditions, maintenance areas of concern, etc. from unbiased sources in order to make an informed purchase decision. Thankfully you can find that kind of info on this board.
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

My main feedback to Dan is to allow the person to speak more. He tends to speak for them too much. And yeah, it’s not a review.
I have never seen him review anything.