When is it stale?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Re: When is it stale?

Post by Warmi »

FastEddieB wrote:I have several cans of 93 octane ethanol-free mogas that have been sitting for up to 6 months. I had an extended period of “down time” due to personal reasons, though back in the saddle now.

My strategy recently has been to buy some fresh ethanol-free mogas and use it to mix with whatever “stale” fuel that’s been sitting when I fuel the plane. The resulting 50/50 mix should be fresh enough overall.

Not advocating for that, just putting my procedure out there for discussion.
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that as well, or as MrMorden suggested, just dumping a few gallons of 100 LL as a octane booster - that would work.
On the other hand, I can use the old gas in my car so nothing really is lost - will make for a very happy car engine :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: When is it stale?

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

FastEddieB wrote:I have several cans of 93 octane ethanol-free mogas that have been sitting for up to 6 months. I had an extended period of “down time” due to personal reasons, though back in the saddle now.

My strategy recently has been to buy some fresh ethanol-free mogas and use it to mix with whatever “stale” fuel that’s been sitting when I fuel the plane. The resulting 50/50 mix should be fresh enough overall.

Not advocating for that, just putting my procedure out there for discussion.
I agree Eddie, good plan.