ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Dave C

ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Post by Dave C »

Has anyone added ADS-B out to a Sportstar? I have a 2006 model and am looking at what the options might be. Is a letter of authorization required from Evektor for any ADS-B out system?
drseti

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Post by drseti »

I added ADS-B in and out to my second SportStar. Yes, an LoA is required. I did two EAA webinars on the installation and validation process, which are available online at:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/5353305903001

And

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/5576016152001
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Thanks Paul. Lots of good information there. My Sportstar is more oldschool. It doesn't have the Skyview system. Here is a picture of my panel.
Instr Panel smaller.JPG
Instr Panel smaller.JPG (108.34 KiB) Viewed 10651 times
drseti

Post by drseti »

That looks very much like the panel of my first SportStar, Dave. Its S/N is 2006-0810. What's yours?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

drseti wrote:That looks very much like the panel of my first SportStar, Dave. Its S/N is 2006-0810. What's yours?
It is S/N 2006-0708

I am trying to figure out how to get ADS- out on the cheap. I am looking to see if there is a way to incorporate a "skyBeacon" on the wingtip. A complication is the existing wingtip light housing incorporates a rear position light which is not included in the skyBeacon.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Another option I was looking at is the Garmin GDL 82
drseti

Post by drseti »

I would suggest you contact SportStar distributor Steve Minnich, at Dreams Come True Aviation in Tipp City OH. He can tell you what ADS-B Out solutions have already received an LoA from the manufacturer for similarly equipped aircraft. Good luck!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Dave C wrote:
drseti wrote:That looks very much like the panel of my first SportStar, Dave. Its S/N is 2006-0810. What's yours?
It is S/N 2006-0708

I am trying to figure out how to get ADS- out on the cheap. I am looking to see if there is a way to incorporate a "skyBeacon" on the wingtip. A complication is the existing wingtip light housing incorporates a rear position light which is not included in the skyBeacon.
The SkyBeacon won't work for you because of the light. Have you checked the spec's on the TailBeacon (subject manufacturer's LOA)?
dave
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Dave C wrote:Another option I was looking at is the Garmin GDL 82
I second the GDL-82, it's an awesome ADS-B out box, works with any mode c transponder on the market, very easy to install, my PAPR reports are always perfect and with the FAA rebate it'll come in at $1295. Did I mention it's Garmin? :mrgreen:
drseti

Post by drseti »

Regardless of the quality of any particular product, in an SLSA, you're at the mercy of the aircraft manufacturer. Before you start shopping, make sure you know what they're going to approve.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

drseti wrote:I would suggest you contact SportStar distributor Steve Minnich, at Dreams Come True Aviation in Tipp City OH. He can tell you what ADS-B Out solutions have already received an LoA from the manufacturer for similarly equipped aircraft. Good luck!
Good idea. I have spoke with Steve before. When you have applied for an LoA before how much detail did you have to give them? Was it just a list of the major components or did you need to describe how and where everything was mounted and connected?
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

ShawnM wrote:
Dave C wrote:Another option I was looking at is the Garmin GDL 82
I second the GDL-82, it's an awesome ADS-B out box, works with any mode c transponder on the market, very easy to install, my PAPR reports are always perfect and with the FAA rebate it'll come in at $1295. Did I mention it's Garmin? :mrgreen:
Did you install it yourself? Roughly what would the installation bill be to install such a system?
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:I would suggest you contact SportStar distributor Steve Minnich, at Dreams Come True Aviation in Tipp City OH. He can tell you what ADS-B Out solutions have already received an LoA from the manufacturer for similarly equipped aircraft. Good luck!
I would do this before anything else. If there is already a good and approved option available, why screw around with something else?
Retired from flying.
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

dstclair wrote:
Dave C wrote:
It is S/N 2006-0708

The SkyBeacon won't work for you because of the light. Have you checked the spec's on the TailBeacon (subject manufacturer's LOA)?
Yeah, I saw the tail beacon as well but that might be even more difficult. On this plane there are no lights on the tail and no place for a light back there.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Dave C wrote:. When you have applied for an LoA before how much detail did you have to give them? Was it just a list of the major components or did you need to describe how and where everything was mounted and connected?
Since I'm an aerospace engineer, I tend to go overboard. I generally write the whole LoA for them - as a result, they've never refused to issue me one! But the required info is aircraft make, model, registration and serial numbers, Hobbs reading, approx. number of landings, what's to be installed, who's going to do the work, what maintenance certificate that person or shop holds, what installation procedure will be followed (I generally say "in accordance with equip. manufacturer's installation manual"), ASTM standard to be complied with, a statement that installation will be tested for non-interference, and that wt/balance documents will be updated.

Examples of my previous LoAs can be found halfway down the page here:

http://avsport.org/acft/ours.htm

Note the detailed "Optional Service Instruction" linked from that page. (See what I mean by going overboard?)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US