ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Dave C
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm

ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby Dave C » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:56 am

Has anyone added ADS-B out to a Sportstar? I have a 2006 model and am looking at what the options might be. Is a letter of authorization required from Evektor for any ADS-B out system?

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6221
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby drseti » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 am

I added ADS-B in and out to my second SportStar. Yes, an LoA is required. I did two EAA webinars on the installation and validation process, which are available online at:

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/5353305903001

And

http://www.eaavideo.org/detail/video/5576016152001
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Dave C
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby Dave C » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Thanks Paul. Lots of good information there. My Sportstar is more oldschool. It doesn't have the Skyview system. Here is a picture of my panel.
Instr Panel smaller.JPG
Instr Panel smaller.JPG (108.34 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6221
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby drseti » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:33 pm

That looks very much like the panel of my first SportStar, Dave. Its S/N is 2006-0810. What's yours?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Dave C
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby Dave C » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:09 pm

drseti wrote:That looks very much like the panel of my first SportStar, Dave. Its S/N is 2006-0810. What's yours?

It is S/N 2006-0708

I am trying to figure out how to get ADS- out on the cheap. I am looking to see if there is a way to incorporate a "skyBeacon" on the wingtip. A complication is the existing wingtip light housing incorporates a rear position light which is not included in the skyBeacon.

Dave C
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby Dave C » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Another option I was looking at is the Garmin GDL 82

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6221
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby drseti » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm

I would suggest you contact SportStar distributor Steve Minnich, at Dreams Come True Aviation in Tipp City OH. He can tell you what ADS-B Out solutions have already received an LoA from the manufacturer for similarly equipped aircraft. Good luck!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

User avatar
dstclair
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:23 am
Location: Allen, TX

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby dstclair » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:40 pm

Dave C wrote:
drseti wrote:That looks very much like the panel of my first SportStar, Dave. Its S/N is 2006-0810. What's yours?

It is S/N 2006-0708

I am trying to figure out how to get ADS- out on the cheap. I am looking to see if there is a way to incorporate a "skyBeacon" on the wingtip. A complication is the existing wingtip light housing incorporates a rear position light which is not included in the skyBeacon.

The SkyBeacon won't work for you because of the light. Have you checked the spec's on the TailBeacon (subject manufacturer's LOA)?
dave

User avatar
ShawnM
Posts: 499
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:59 pm
Location: Clearwater, FL / KZPH

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby ShawnM » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Dave C wrote:Another option I was looking at is the Garmin GDL 82


I second the GDL-82, it's an awesome ADS-B out box, works with any mode c transponder on the market, very easy to install, my PAPR reports are always perfect and with the FAA rebate it'll come in at $1295. Did I mention it's Garmin? :mrgreen:

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6221
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby drseti » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:16 pm

Regardless of the quality of any particular product, in an SLSA, you're at the mercy of the aircraft manufacturer. Before you start shopping, make sure you know what they're going to approve.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

Dave C
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby Dave C » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:54 pm

drseti wrote:I would suggest you contact SportStar distributor Steve Minnich, at Dreams Come True Aviation in Tipp City OH. He can tell you what ADS-B Out solutions have already received an LoA from the manufacturer for similarly equipped aircraft. Good luck!

Good idea. I have spoke with Steve before. When you have applied for an LoA before how much detail did you have to give them? Was it just a list of the major components or did you need to describe how and where everything was mounted and connected?

Dave C
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby Dave C » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:56 pm

ShawnM wrote:
Dave C wrote:Another option I was looking at is the Garmin GDL 82


I second the GDL-82, it's an awesome ADS-B out box, works with any mode c transponder on the market, very easy to install, my PAPR reports are always perfect and with the FAA rebate it'll come in at $1295. Did I mention it's Garmin? :mrgreen:


Did you install it yourself? Roughly what would the installation bill be to install such a system?

TimTaylor
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:17 pm

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby TimTaylor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:58 pm

drseti wrote:I would suggest you contact SportStar distributor Steve Minnich, at Dreams Come True Aviation in Tipp City OH. He can tell you what ADS-B Out solutions have already received an LoA from the manufacturer for similarly equipped aircraft. Good luck!


I would do this before anything else. If there is already a good and approved option available, why screw around with something else?
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane
Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea
Flight Instructor Airplane Single & Multiengine
Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument
BS Engineering NC State
MBA Wisconsin

Dave C
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:33 pm

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby Dave C » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:01 pm

dstclair wrote:
Dave C wrote:
drseti wrote:That looks very much like the panel of my first SportStar, Dave. Its S/N is 2006-0810. What's yours?

It is S/N 2006-0708

I am trying to figure out how to get ADS- out on the cheap. I am looking to see if there is a way to incorporate a "skyBeacon" on the wingtip. A complication is the existing wingtip light housing incorporates a rear position light which is not included in the skyBeacon.

The SkyBeacon won't work for you because of the light. Have you checked the spec's on the TailBeacon (subject manufacturer's LOA)?


Yeah, I saw the tail beacon as well but that might be even more difficult. On this plane there are no lights on the tail and no place for a light back there.

User avatar
drseti
Posts: 6221
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:42 pm
Location: Lock Haven PA
Contact:

Re: ADS-B for Evektor Sportstar?

Postby drseti » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:21 am

Dave C wrote:. When you have applied for an LoA before how much detail did you have to give them? Was it just a list of the major components or did you need to describe how and where everything was mounted and connected?


Since I'm an aerospace engineer, I tend to go overboard. I generally write the whole LoA for them - as a result, they've never refused to issue me one! But the required info is aircraft make, model, registration and serial numbers, Hobbs reading, approx. number of landings, what's to be installed, who's going to do the work, what maintenance certificate that person or shop holds, what installation procedure will be followed (I generally say "in accordance with equip. manufacturer's installation manual"), ASTM standard to be complied with, a statement that installation will be tested for non-interference, and that wt/balance documents will be updated.

Examples of my previous LoAs can be found halfway down the page here:

http://avsport.org/acft/ours.htm

Note the detailed "Optional Service Instruction" linked from that page. (See what I mean by going overboard?)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
fly@AvSport.org
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US


Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests