Big Bore kit from Edge powersport

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

David

Big Bore kit from Edge powersport

Post by David »

I’m considering the big bore kit from Badass Sports. Purpose is more climb not top end

http://badasspowersports.com/product/14 ... kit-10-51/

Thoughts and does anyone have experience with this upgrade?
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
RTK

Re: Big Bore kit from Edge powersport

Post by RTK »

I have been following Edge Performance, and BadAss Powersports is their North American distributor. I actually am keenly looking into their fuel injection system for smoother, cooler running, no-carb-sync issues, and avoidance of vapor lock. But I digress...

Edge Performance’s big bore kit seems to have some good reviews. I have to admit that I’m also interested in this, but there is an alternative with Zipper Big Bore who also have a similar displacement. Zipper is in Elko, Nevada and can install for you as well from what I’ve read. I’m also considering Zipper for a big bore kit... but that’s not the most pressing upgrade at the moment.
David

Post by David »

http://badasspowersports.com/

I just installed the Big Bore kit from Badass Sports

114 hp
1483 cc
10.5:1 CR
still 91 octane fuel

I just have 5 hours on it but love the performance. Keep in mind I run a 3 blade and I was only turning 4900 on takeoff ( I know too low). With the prop pitch the same I now see 5150 and showing 1500 ft per min at 75 kts. with a level cruise at 120ish :)

Graph for before and after performance numbers. Not an exact comparison but close with temp and density alt with no change in pitch. Bottom line I am happy

https://www.facebook.com/16291705640352 ... 37?sfns=mo

Jason provided great customer service
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Great review David and thanks for the pics. Looks to be an improvement for sure. I'd still correct the pitch issue you have as you can damage the engine if you are not careful. Have you done the WOT test that Roger recommends you do to see if you are pitched correctly? Just food for thought.

I typically see 115 kts to 120 kts TAS with my stock 912ULS at 5300 RPM cruise (3 bladed Woodcomp prop), this would make a big difference on my SportCruiser. :mrgreen:
David

Post by David »

ShawnM wrote:I'd still correct the pitch issue you have as you can damage the engine if you are not careful.
Not totally following I am hovering really around 5175 - 5210 wot climb out. Cruise at 5500 level staying In the LSA 120 kts range, but can push it put to 5700 for 5 min which I don’t do. I think if I flatten the prob I will get more rpm on climb but less speed on top end. I’m happy with the climb I have it is outstanding.

Open for suggestions :D
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

David wrote:
ShawnM wrote:I'd still correct the pitch issue you have as you can damage the engine if you are not careful.
Not totally following I am hovering really around 5175 - 5210 wot climb out. Cruise at 5500 level staying In the LSA 120 kts range, but can push it put to 5700 for 5 min which I don’t do. I think if I flatten the prob I will get more rpm on climb but less speed on top end. I’m happy with the climb I have it is outstanding.

If you don't use the 5,700 setting then maybe your too flat? If you set for the highest number you use you would pick up a little power in the range that you do use.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Roger suggests that you apply WOT for 1 minute at your average cruising altitude and you should see 5600 to 5650 RPM. Any more or less then a pitch adjustment would be in order as you are giving up the advantages of this setting, ie, cruise, climb, fuel burn. There is a "happy medium".

I understand that YOU are happy with the climb that you have but IS YOUR ENGINE? :shock:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Depending on the airframe 5700 over 5650 is not enough to worry about an adjustment, unless you are trying to get the best all around performance. Prop pitch is kind of like deciding which airplane is the best choice. You have to define your objective on what performance you want.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

ShawnM wrote:
I understand that YOU are happy with the climb that you have but IS YOUR ENGINE? :shock:
Being under pitched is not an issue for the engine unless you are going past redline. Being over pitched is bad in almost every regard. It sounds like he is just slightly under pitched.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

3Dreaming wrote:Depending on the airframe 5700 over 5650 is not enough to worry about an adjustment, unless you are trying to get the best all around performance. Prop pitch is kind of like deciding which airplane is the best choice. You have to define your objective on what performance you want.
This is why Roger suggests you go WOT for 1 minute at your average cruise altitude, so you can see where the RPM settles in at. David stated he can push it to 5700 rpm, will it go higher? We dont know until you go WOT and find out. It may go to 5800 during that minute. Again, this is why we do the test. I'm just offering up the same info Roger has posted more times than I can count in all the various forums.

If I were to bolt on this expensive upgrade I'd want "the best all around performance" I could get for my money, wouldn't you? My point is he may be leaving some performance or fuel savings on the table without knowing it. That's all.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

ShawnM wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:Depending on the airframe 5700 over 5650 is not enough to worry about an adjustment, unless you are trying to get the best all around performance. Prop pitch is kind of like deciding which airplane is the best choice. You have to define your objective on what performance you want.
This is why Roger suggests you go WOT for 1 minute at your average cruise altitude, so you can see where the RPM settles in at. David stated he can push it to 5700 rpm, will it go higher? We dont know until you go WOT and find out. It may go to 5800 during that minute. Again, this is why we do the test. I'm just offering up the same info Roger has posted more times than I can count in all the various forums.

If I were to bolt on this expensive upgrade I'd want "the best all around performance" I could get for my money, wouldn't you? My point is he may be leaving some performance or fuel savings on the table without knowing it. That's all.
When he says he can push it to 5700 for 5 minutes I take that to mean 5700 is as fast as it will turn full throttle level flight.
David

Post by David »

3Dreaming wrote:
When he says he can push it to 5700 for 5 minutes I take that to mean 5700 is as fast as it will turn full throttle level flight.
Correct i can push it up to 5700 ish at level flight for 5 min, but cruise at 5500 - i think it is dialed in, but i could bore wrong.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

David wrote:

There is no requirement for the pilot to maintain 120kt or less. That is a requirement for manufacturers to get their airplanes certificated as SLSA or ELSA, or for legacy airplanes to be considered "light sport aircraft".

You cannot, however, make an alteration that takes the airplane out of LSA performance parameters. But unless you did calibrated sea level flight testing, how would you know? 8)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

David wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:
Correct i can push it up to 5700 ish at level flight for 5 min, but cruise at 5500 - i think it is dialed in, but i could bore wrong.
Do you actually usually cruise at 5500rpm? I usually cruise at 5000-5400rpm and see 115-125KTAS. 5500rpm is 130KTAS or a hair more for me on a stock 100hp Rotax, but fuel consumption goes way up.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote:
There is no requirement for the pilot to maintain 120kt or less.
True, but...
That is a requirement for manufacturers to get their airplanes certificated as SLSA or ELSA, or for legacy airplanes to be considered "light sport aircraft".
Partially true. 120 knots is the Vh limit. The definition of Vh (max horizontal speed) is very narrowly defined as:

Max continuous power (in this case, 5500 RPM)
Flight at sea level
Standard atmosphere (15 C, 29.92 in Hg, zero relative humidity)
You cannot, however, make an alteration that takes the airplane out of LSA performance parameters. But unless you did calibrated sea level flight testing, how would you know? 8)
You'll never actually be able to test Vh under defined conditions, because even if you are at 15 C and 29.92, at sea level you'll be on the water, thus the humidity will not be zero!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US