High Altitude Airports and LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Re: High Altitude Airports and LSA

Post by Atrosa »

drseti wrote:I don't think that's an LSA, Dan.
Not only do I think that IS a LSA... I'm pretty confident it should be my first LSA.... What could possibly go wrong?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Atrosa wrote:
Not only do I think that IS a LSA... I'm pretty confident it should be my first LSA.... What could possibly go wrong?
I think he was referring to the Harmon Rocket with the rotary engine that set the time to climb record.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

3Dreaming wrote:
Atrosa wrote:
I think he was referring to the Harmon Rocket with the rotary engine that set the time to climb record.
so was I :)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Great video to watch. From sitting on the runway to 10,000 feet in 1 minute 40 seconds is amazing. I’ve seen these rotary engines in airplanes locally and a fellow pilot at my airport has 3 of them with hopes to install one in his Glasair.

It climbs just a little faster than my SportCruiser. :mrgreen:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qBdDg8U8t_E
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

FlyAgain wrote:I live near Colorado Springs. We're at over 6,000 ft making density altitude a major issue as is the unpredictable winds we get here along the front range.
I rented from NM Sport Aviation, based at Santa Fe (KSAF - 7000 ft), and took their Remos GX to Angel Fire (KAXX - 8400 ft). It's not a problem, as long as you're not too overweight and try to fly overgross. I weigh 230 lbs. A typical S-LSA airplane has a better power loading, and the same wing area loading, as Cessna 150. Make sure to plan for climbout gradient, not just runway length required.

It's been a while since I landed at KCOS, but I suspect your biggest problem going to be the wind, not the weight. My cross-wind component maximum in GX is 20 knots. I know that many can take more, but I just don't have the confidence. Runways at KCOS are north-south, which sucks on most days.