High Altitude Airports and LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

CharlieTango

Re: High Altitude Airports and LSA

Postby CharlieTango » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:03 pm

TimTaylor wrote:There is NOTHING resembling high performance with a 100 hp LSA

Can you relate to the concept of a high performance glider? zero hp but it can be designed to fly faster and climb better.

The Pipestrel Virus is the Nasa Cafe record holder. = high performance again.

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:56 pm

I responded to the OP that an LSA would be perfectly fine flying where he is located in Colorado Springs. I also made the point that there is not as much opportunity to reduce the weight of an LSA as there is with other aircraft, which is a true statement. I did not say or imply an LSA was a better or worse option for his situation.

And yes, I would much much prefer flying the M20C to the SkyCatchers and Remos GX I am currently flying. So what? I am now relegated to LSA and am quite happy with it. I don't remember EVER bad mouthing LSA or Sport Pilots.
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:28 pm

TimTaylor wrote:I responded to the OP that an LSA would be perfectly fine flying where he is located in Colorado Springs. I also made the point that there is not as much opportunity to reduce the weight of an LSA as there is with other aircraft, which is a true statement. I did not say or imply an LSA was a better or worse option for his situation.

And yes, I would much much prefer flying the M20C to the SkyCatchers and Remos GX I am currently flying. So what? I am now relegated to LSA and am quite happy with it. I don't remember EVER bad mouthing LSA or Sport Pilots.

And, by the way, I made no mention of flying a Mooney or preferring a Mooney or any other aircraft. Some other guy said that, out of the blue, and suggested I don't belong here. What the hell?
Commercial Pilot Airplane Single & Multiengine Land; Instrument Airplane; Sport Endorsement Airplane Single Engine Sea; Flight Instructor Airplane Single And Multiengine; Ground Instructor Advanced Instrument

3Dreaming

Postby 3Dreaming » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:09 am

TimTaylor wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I responded to the OP that an LSA would be perfectly fine flying where he is located in Colorado Springs. I also made the point that there is not as much opportunity to reduce the weight of an LSA as there is with other aircraft, which is a true statement. I did not say or imply an LSA was a better or worse option for his situation.

And, by the way, I made no mention of flying a Mooney or preferring a Mooney or any other aircraft. Some other guy said that, out of the blue, and suggested I don't belong here. What the hell?

I think his comments were based on more than just this thread. At times you comments come across as pretty negative towards sport pilot and LSA, even if that is not your intent.

TimTaylor

Postby TimTaylor » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:08 pm

I’m a pilot with 54 years experience in lots of planes. Never flew one I didn’t like. Like anything, I prefer some over others.

MrMorden

Postby MrMorden » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:28 pm

Let's take two airplanes:

1) 1320lb gross LSA (100hp)

2) 2640lb gross non-LSA (200hp)

To reduce weight and increase performance, aircraft B leaves two 200lb passengers behind. Aircraft A leaves one 200lb passenger behind. Which one gets the bigger performance bump? Answer: the performance increase on a percentage basis is identical.

It's not about power, it's about power to weight.

Sure, at 10,000ft takeoff roll might double...the same as it does for every normally-aspirated airplane. There's nothing inherently low performance about a 100hp airplane, it just depends on weight. And with wing loadings usually lower for LSA than other GA airplanes, the LSA might actually have an advantage at higher altitudes.

My CTSW breaks ground in about 600ft, and then climbs at 900fpm at gross; if my takeoff roll doubles I'm not going to sweat it on a decent length runway.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA

jetcat3

Postby jetcat3 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 pm

I have quite a few hours behind a 914 turbo in Idaho. The highest density altitude takeoff was at 8,700 ft and the climb rate at max gross was 750 FPM in a Tecnam P2008. Had the airplane up to 13,900 ft multiple times to clear the Grand Teton mountain range with ease.

Return to “Light Sport Aircraft”