3600 lbs gross for LSA ?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

akroguy

Re: 3600 lbs gross for LSA ?

Post by akroguy »

This could also impact the maintenance industry. A&P ticket holder would now be able to sign off "annuals" on legacy, certified airplanes fitting the new criteria that today requires an IA endorsement?

There is a lot to consider when you get deeper into the weeds.

Brian
2006 Sportstar
2006 Evektor Sportstar SE
E98 Los Lunas, NM
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

akroguy wrote:This could also impact the maintenance industry. A&P ticket holder would now be able to sign off "annuals" on legacy, certified airplanes fitting the new criteria that today requires an IA endorsement?

There is a lot to consider when you get deeper into the weeds.

Brian
2006 Sportstar
Can they do that now? IDK. If not, then there is no reason to think this is correct. Just because a standard certificated airplane falls within the LSA definition, it is still a standard certificated airplane. The only difference is it can be flown by a Sport Pilot or other pilot exercising Sport Pilot privileges and limitations.
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

TimTaylor wrote: Can they do that now? IDK. If not, then there is no reason to think this is correct. Just because a standard certificated airplane falls within the LSA definition, it is still a standard certificated airplane. The only difference is it can be flown by a Sport Pilot or other pilot exercising Sport Pilot privileges and limitations.
I agree. An LSA generically is just an airplane whose performance characteristics fall within the LSA definition. That has nothing to do with certification or maintenance; if the airplane is certified under Part 23, forever will that part guide maintenance procedures for the airplane. S-LSA using ASTM guidelines will still use the ASTM standards for maintenance.

Don't confuse the broad performance definition of LSA for the certification standards the airplane's AW cert was issued under.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
joey4420

Post by joey4420 »

MrMorden wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: Can they do that now? IDK. If not, then there is no reason to think this is correct. Just because a standard certificated airplane falls within the LSA definition, it is still a standard certificated airplane. The only difference is it can be flown by a Sport Pilot or other pilot exercising Sport Pilot privileges and limitations.
I agree. An LSA generically is just an airplane whose performance characteristics fall within the LSA definition. That has nothing to do with certification or maintenance; if the airplane is certified under Part 23, forever will that part guide maintenance procedures for the airplane. S-LSA using ASTM guidelines will still use the ASTM standards for maintenance.

Don't confuse the broad performance definition of LSA for the certification standards the airplane's AW cert was issued under.

I own and Ercoupe (qualifies as a Light sport A/C, but is a Certified Airplane) as a sport pilot, I legally can't even change my own oil or a light bulb. I do a lot of work on my own plane with fellow PPL friends to sign off on my oil changes and and little things I need to do. It is helpful that I have a A&P IA friend that watches over me on the bigger work as well. I doubt they will change any of this for any aircraft that would meet any new requirement. Unless someone in the FAA understands that a little more hood time and a night flight qualifies as being a mechanic. I did all the work on my plane for my last annual with the exception of building a new shelf for my new ELT I installed... thankfully my IA friend can sign off on things. Okay I didn't clean and gap my plugs, but I had to replace them all anyways since 3 were bad and who knows how old they were.
Joey
Cincinnati OH
Sport Pilot
Double Eagle N35DE
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

It may not seem fair that you can't change the oil in your airplane, but a Private Pilot can. That is an example of strange situations that arise when the FAA tries to accommodate us by such things as allowing vintage aircraft that meet LSA limitations to be flown by Sport Pilots. At least you can fly your airplane without a Private certificate.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

joey4420 wrote: Unless someone in the FAA understands that a little more hood time and a night flight qualifies as being a mechanic.
Actually, Joey, the FAA believes that a third class medical (plus hood time, night training, and a longer XC) would somehow qualify you to do preventive maintenance.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

What is really crazy is a private pilot can do preventive maintenance on any aircraft they own even if they can't fly it. Think rated ASEL, and owning a Lear Jet.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

And a different written exam. I assume it's longer and more difficult, but I don't know that. I've never seen a Sport Pilot written exam.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

To me personally, having a bit larger, factory build planes , being sold as LSA ( and not as certified or E-AB ) would be the most attractive result of this proposed change.

We are not talking here Cirrus or anything like that but more like Sling 4 or generally, about 1700 lbs planes with Rotax 915is +all other typical LSA amenities like BRS etc ...hmm
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

joey4420 wrote:
I do a lot of work on my own plane with fellow PPL friends to sign off on my oil changes and and little things I need to do.
That doesn’t sound kosher.

What authorizes a Private Pilot to “sign off” work performed by another on an aircraft he or she does not own?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Part 43 specifically says a PP or above can perform preventive maintenance (a specific list of tasks is provided) on a certified aircraft he or she owns.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I am a firm believer is following all the rules all the time. If you don't like a rule or law, work to get it changed. However, if I was going to cheat, I wouldn't post about it on the internet.
Retired from flying.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

If it is an experimental remember the trunk monkey can do the work during the year just not the annual.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

roger lee wrote:If it is an experimental remember the trunk monkey can do the work during the year just not the annual.
Who you callin' a trunk monkey? :mrgreen:

This trunk monkey is taking the 16 hour class next April. :P
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

roger lee wrote:If it is an experimental remember the trunk monkey can do the work during the year just not the annual.
True, but we were discussing maintenance on an Ercoupe.

Specifically the owner doing the work on it and another Private Pilot "signing it off".

Not legal, right?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]