Vans Aircraft now manufacturer of RV12iS S-LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

c162pilot

Vans Aircraft now manufacturer of RV12iS S-LSA

Post by c162pilot »

Interesting and positive development in my opinion.
https://www.vansaircraft.com/public/Exp ... s_SLSA.htm
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Vans Aircraft now manufacturer of RV12iS S-LSA

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Since early last year Van’s was moving towards changing production of their S-LSA. Although Synergy does excellent work and has been a great partner, Van’s needed to up production numbers. Synergies side of the business, in itself, is very robust and there lies the issue. Now both can move forward, Synergy doing owner assists and Van’s producing factory -12 iS & iST’s.

I’d be flying a -12iS, rather than a Sling 2, had production of the changeover from -12 to -12iS continue unabated over a year ago. IMO, Van’s lost quite a few sales due to their lack of advance planning. They should have worked out all the details of pricing and production before announcing the iS at AirVenture 2017.

I will say, that in the end, for me, having flown the -12 and numerous other LSA’s, I made the right choice in purchasing my Sling.
RTK

Post by RTK »

So... what is the price of a S-LSA RV12iS? I can't seem to find any information on Vans' website (or their newly dedicated RV12 website.)
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The RV-12 is a great little airplane. It is #1 on my list if I am ever in a position to purchase a new LSA.
Retired from flying.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

RTK wrote:So... what is the price of a S-LSA RV12iS? I can't seem to find any information on Vans' website (or their newly dedicated RV12 website.)
I read somewhere a while back where it was going to be about $150k plus options like second screen etc. In 2014 mine was $115 plus $13k of options including paint. I’d figure the new model to be around $125k basic, plus $15k for the same options and paint. Add $18k for iS engine and $6k for second screen. Just my somewhat informed WAG.
The rollout is classic Vans, info but not the stuff you really need like pricing, and options. It might be somewhere but you’ll have to dig, right now anyway. What’s the difference between the iS and the iST?
I’ve owned an RV-12 SLSA for 4 years and so I have thought about the merits of upgrading to the iS model.so far I haven’t seen enough to scratch any itch.
The Sport engine is more complex and expensive to buy and operate/maintain.The improvement in fuel burn cost is really minimal to me considering the cost of 93E10, and I’m pretty pleased to get average 5gph with my ULS engine.
Over the life of the engine I doubt I’d ever save enough fuel to offset the extra cost. As for power the ULS leaps of the ground as it is, I don’t need the extra power especially as I can’t carry any extra load or fuel under LSA rules.
Everyone touts the “inconvenience” carbs and balancing them etc. although I typically get them weighed and balanced at annual and it doesn’t take the mechanic very long. Otherwise very reliable.
The increased weight, complexity and price of the Sport engine is the thing I most ponder . You can opt for the same ULS engine, which I already have so....
Fuel..capacity is the same as is location albeit sideways across rear cabin vs behind passenger seat. The fuel filler is lower but there is an issue of fuel gushing out and damaging canopy, if you’re not careful. Ask me how I know.
There is a cup holder....and USB ports which is nice.
There is now a throttle lever vs my vernier option and some controls moved but basically where they were. I think the glad are now electric but Zimmerman happy with simple flap handle. I already have the canopy latch mod.
Vans have been testing a three blade prop option but I read that there is no real increase in performance, some slight speed increase offset by the extra drag. The three blade looks sexier, but...
I would really have liked to see detachable wings being an option for those who want to trailer versus the vast majority who’ve never removed the wings. Myself included.
I’d prefer fixed wings with tanks in each like the Rans S-19 Venterra, almost identical to-12.
It frees up space in cabin, and takes fuel tank out of cabin, where it’s easier to fill and work on. I’m disappointed that Vans did not do a redesign option or increase fuel capacity.
I’d opt for the dual screens and maybe go with Garmin having had some issues with Dynon. I wanted dual SkyViews when I bought mine but was told by Vans that wasn’t an option, until they offered it about three months later! What did I say about Vans?
All this said, the RV-12 is a fantastic airplane if you want a plane that does 118-120kts on 5gph of auto fuel (less in Sport engine), barely uses oil, is really responsive and performs the light sport mission very well. For me personally I’ll stick with my Rv-12. If I was looking for the first time I’d be hesitant because at the price point it’s more comparable with other manufacturers. But I’d seriously consider it. Mine was about $22k less four years ago and, as I’ve outlined above, what more do I get for the $$ that I don’t have now?
Well, I’d get a more expensive engine that saves maybe 10% on $2.90 gal fuel. You definitely would need access to a Sport engine trained mechanic.
In fairness to Vans they’re updating an overall brilliant design
Last edited by Nomore767 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Apparently the -iST vs iS is a Traing school version with some changes that schools wanted, like beefier brakes and gear, IFR trainer, some features for the instructor like dual screens and extra switches etc
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

I was on Vans’ list of customers waiting for the iS, before I moved on. I received a call and email prior to Air Venture nforming me they “Van’s” was announcing startup production of the -12 iS at AV. They sent me a price list, but this site is telling me it’s too large. When I have some time I’ll break it down and post it.
RTK

Post by RTK »

Nomore767 wrote:I read somewhere a while back where it was going to be about $150k plus options like second screen etc. In 2014 mine was $115 plus $13k of options including paint. I’d figure the new model to be around $125k basic, plus $15k for the same options and paint. Add $18k for iS engine and $6k for second screen. Just my somewhat informed WAG.
Thanks Nomore767. $150K is about mid-pack pricing of current LSAs, though those come with dual EFIS, etc. Hopefully Vans will consider making the price a bit more competitive, but considering that they’re not having any difficulty selling the RV12, maybe the pricing is where you think it will be.

In terms of the iS engine... I’m not keen on the Rotax pricing for fuel injection (or weight) for the small gain in power either. But on another forum, we’re discussing vapor lock, and having a fuel injected engine would help mitigate that. There are states where Swift fuel (or other non-ethanol blended fuels) are available. I think that would mitigate most (if not all) the need for a vapor lock problem. But for those that live in a state where non-ethanol blended fuel is nearly impossible to get, either blending with 100LL or going E-LSA (or E-AB) and adding fuel injection might be the potential other solutions.
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:I was on Vans’ list of customers waiting for the iS, before I moved on. I received a call and email prior to Air Venture nforming me they “Van’s” was announcing startup production of the -12 iS at AV. They sent me a price list, but this site is telling me it’s too large. When I have some time I’ll break it down and post it.
Thanks Sling 2 Pilot! I would be curious to see the pricelist.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

A guy on another forum said he was recently told $142k for a loaded iS airplane Whichniscevem more competitive amongst similar models.

As regards fuel I’m currently using 93E10, previously unleaded 93 octane , the supply of which has dried up.
Haven’t had any issues and get 4.8-5 gph.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Actually, $145k.
kennyc

Post by kennyc »

RV-12iST prices:
Standard Trainer (VFR) $125,500.00
Premium Trainer (IFR, Dual Screen) $153,500.00

This information is from:
http://www.flyrv12.com/the-rv-12ist-trainer/

On the right hand side of the page there is a chart that starts with RV-12iST Performance (right under the FAA logo). At the bottom of this chart it has Pricing.

There is not a pricing chart on the RV-12is page.